UMassD Believes 2023

Summer Writing Project

Obstacles + Perseverance

How have obstacles and perseverance shaped your life? What do you believe?

Post submissions here that match this topic thread in comments.

46 Comments

1. Precious O
    Obstacles; everyone has them. Whether we are fond of them or not, we are faced with some form of obstacle: a challenge. Whether it is caused by fear, anger, anxiety, or trauma, different obstacles are still created, and similar ones recur throughout our lives. Perseverance? Not that much. Perseverance takes a lot of courage, determination, and strength. It’s much easier to give in to the obstacles instead of trying to overcome them. People would tend to run away from the problem instead of facing it head-on. In different situations, trying to persevere can be very difficult but it’s not impossible. Being surrounded by different types of people can impact your journey in perseverance. Your resources could impact your motivation to persevere. It all goes down to the faith that you have within yourself and most importantly, your faith in perseverance.

For me, gaining the strength to persevere while dealing with my obstacle hasn’t been easy. Due to health scares that both my parents had encountered, I’ve slowly realized how traumatized I was. My anxiety has increased, but most importantly, I now fear death. I disagree with all books and discussions where people see beauty in it in which I find nothing but ugliness and sadness within it. I fear for both the death of my loved ones and my death. From the mystery of when it may happen to the pain and suffering that I’ll endure once the death of a loved one occurs. My mind hates trying to accept the fact that death is an unavoidable thing in this world. I fear the feeling of being distraught and the disappearance of the ones that I love. But when I see myself mentally struggling with something, I do my best to express my feelings to my close ones. As they hear me out, give my advice, and consult me. I see it as a slow step to perseverance. I even look forward to getting a therapist on campus to help me cope with my anxiety while I’m away from home. As I’m still working hard to persevere, I believe that one day, I’ll be fully able to overcome this obstacle and move on to the next.

• I can relate so much to that fear, thank you sm for sharing

• I really relate to this on a core level as when I was younger, I also had some pretty serious health scares and wanted to quit at times but that’s the important people in my life were there for me and they helped me to stand up for myself and face my problems head on!

• I can relate to a lot of this and I honestly feel this is a very good and well written way of telling everyone’s struggling perspective. Good work.

2. I believe in overcoming obstacles, fighting tooth and nail every day to achieve your goals. No matter who you are or where you come from, I believe everyone has what it takes to succeed.

My entire life I’ve watched my parents struggle, not only financially, but socially and emotionally. My father, riddled with drug addiction, and my mother, emotionally and physically unable to support herself, let alone someone else, left me forced to figure out the ways of the world on my own.

Growing up I never had any role models. No one to guide me, no one to pave the way, no one to show me what it was like to be a person in the world we live in. I was gifted with the “do’s and don’ts” manual, leaving out the “do’s” part at birth. The only examples I’ve had were what not to do, teaching me how to get through life by not making the same decisions my parents have made.

By six years old, I had to learn how to be independent. I learned how to prepare a meal, or else I would not eat. I learned how to get myself ready for school or I would not attend. I became an adult at a young age, often called an “old soul” because of my mental maturity as a young person.

As time went on, their constant failures became more severe. Emotional disappointment turned into abuse, and abuse became homelessness. For a year I spent my time moving from place to place. But, despite all of this turmoil I faced, I came out on the other side. To me, these experiences have been a blessing. As stressful and as painful as these traumas were at the time, I am who I am because of them.

Thanks to my parents and the hardships they’ve caused me to face this early in my life, I have a dream. I have a dream and the determination to chase it. Failure after failure has shown me what I want and who I want to be. I want to get into school and work toward a career I love. I want to be able to wake up and go to sleep in the same place every day, never worrying about where my next meal will come from, or whether or not I’ll have somewhere to come home to. I want to live a life I’m proud of.

Because of this, I have realized how important education is. I am applying to college and working to pay for my schooling. I look forward to the opportunities and challenges college will bring me, as well as the community I will get to be a part of.

Unlike my parents, I will not let anything get in my way. No challenge, big or small, will discourage me from my goals.

3. Ayden C

Near the end of 2rd grade, a kid named Jordan Amaral saw my tic disorder and decided that he wanted to bully me over it. Coming to school everyday was awful, I would dread coming to school because of this. When I told the teachers they didn’t seem to care telling me “boys fight all the time” or “boys make fun of each other, it’s normal.” I had to deal with this bully on my own, so I decided to become his friend. Even as a 2nd grader I realized that he didn’t really hate me, he hated that even though I had something wrong with me I still would make the best of everyday. I could see that he was struggling outside of school and because of this I put all his bullying and harsh words behind me and made an effort to become his friend. It didn’t happen quickly and it wasn’t easy but after a while he became a very good friend of mine, and the bullying stopped completely. Although he didn’t follow our class to middle school and he later moved states, this was my first true experience with dealing with a bully that became a great friend and learning opportunity.

• I can relate to this story because when I was growing up I would get bullied for being muslim, however I realized that it wasn’t them it was the way they were brought up. After years of spending more time with the person you notice they are not a hateful person just uneducated at the time. So I think the person bullying you wasn’t a bad or really even a bully just immature and young. I think it’s amazing you were able to find the best out of the situation and even became good friends with the kid instead of having hate towards the person and have the chain continue.

4. Vanessa M

At such a time in life as this, as students attending our first year of college, everything can be fresh and overwhelming. Many are struggling to come to terms, including myself, with the immense stress of what is to come in this college experience. I have much doubt and worry that this may be much more difficult than what I have prepared myself for. I, for one, have always had a harder time than most putting myself out there and interacting with people. This may sound simple or exaggerated to some, but it is the truth. I am an introvert, to say the least, and I also struggle with anxiety. Talking to people or starting a conversation can be nerve-wracking, especially when you feel like the person you are trying to talk to can easily reject you and turn down your friendship. Simple tasks can also be difficult to accomplish without being nervous, self-conscious, doubtful or restless.

Over the years, I have tried to not let every little thing get to me like I used to. For example, with every word and action, I would question and wonder if I could’ve said or done something that would’ve presented myself better. Now I have been trying to leave the past in the past and not worry about it or overthink it, but that’s easier said than done. I have always wanted to be the best version of myself and to present that to others too. However, I realized that that mindset is neither reasonable nor practical; it is a terrible way of thinking. Nobody is perfect, and no matter how much you wish you were, you aren’t; nobody is. Everybody makes mistakes, experiences stress, doubts, fear and struggles at times; it is only natural. Some experience worse symptoms, but we all at some point experience them. Don’t let your mind tell you that you have to be perfect, and don’t compare yourself to others either.

I am very fortunate to have such a supportive and positive family on my side to help me through my times of struggle and to give me advice and perspective on other viewpoints rather than just my mindset at the moment. Through the support of family and friends and along with faith, I have been able to push myself and to not think as much about what could go wrong, rather I think about what could go right and that makes me happy. Yeah, so although I am not perfect, and I still struggle with my anxiety at times, I am still going to keep trying and overcome those feelings when the chances come in order to live life more freely.

5. Being a woman is one of the hardest things I have ever had to experience.

Time and time again, life finds cruel and unusual ways to punish me for the vile and abhorrent crime of being a woman in today’s world.

Being a woman has given me some of the greatest gifts of my life. It has given me my capability to express my thoughts and feelings, it has given me empathy, and an ability to understand the thoughts and feelings of those closest to me. Being a woman has allowed me to connect with others on levels I never thought possible, and introduce myself to new worlds formerly locked alongside their incredible potential. But being a woman has also come with its grievances. Everyone tells you about the wage gap. No one tells you about the constant yearning, the innermost wanting to find a place where you can simply exist in the public eye without the feeling of being threatened, underlooked, or undermined constantly.

Women cannot exist without having heaps of information to tell you about how they have fought, and battled, and struggled, and endured, and won. But none of that matters.

Nothing you ever do as a woman matters unless it is absolutely extraordinary. Even then, it is barely considered equal to your male counterpart. You must defy the very laws of biology and physics and science to even be considered amongst your male counterparts.

Overcoming those obstacles and refusing those stigmatizations is, in fact, the hardest thing I will ever have to continue to do, but it’s teaching me so much more about this world and the people who inhabit it.

• Chloe Kuhn-

I felt every word of what you wrote. Being a women as well, I have faced the things you have described. I started working in a cafe in my town when I was sixteen years old. I saw coworkers come and go. I had been working there for two years by the time one of my former coworkers came onboard. He was older then me but of course, I had more experience working at that cafe. He would constantly tell me I was doing something wrong or find a way to disagree with me. It was extremely frustrating and many nights I went home crying.

I wish things were different for us. I wish we were able to show more power without getting shut down. But we will always keep fighting to do what’s right and make our voices heard.

6. Jasmine M.

I got this cool new big coffin bag that I had been wanting for a while and it had been gifted to me by my parents. I was so overjoyed and was thinking about how I could show it off with my outfits at school the next day. While in school with it, I was careful to hold it a specific way to no hit anyone with it and was happy at how thoughtful I was being while holding my bag. While I was walking to one of my classes, I was behind these three people who were walking slow so I didn’t bother them or anything and smoothly walked past them so they can take their time while I was on my way. But as soon as I had passed them, and they saw me with my coffin bag and my big puffy dress they started loudly commenting about me. I didn’t say anything at the moment, but I was wondering why they were being so loud about it. Why did it bother them so much to the point they had to make everyone hear. When I finally got in my class, I had realized that two of the people were in my class and had followed right after I came in the room. As soon as I put my stuff at my desk the two people started talking about me once again since they realized I was in their class. At that point, I was bothered by how I can’t simply wear a gift given to me all cause it’s in the shape of a coffin. I walked up to them in a normal manner in a calm voice and explained to them their behavior was rude and that they should be careful about what they say since it can hurt others deeply. I went back to my seat once again minding my business.

Even after all of that, the next day I didn’t bring my coffin bag because I wanted to make sure nothing worse happened. I was once again faced with the same people, but worse the person who was with the two from my class was asking about me to the point where I started not to feel safe. I waited a bit when class started to have a conversation with my teacher about what happened and how something should be done. My teacher called one of the people who was out of that group to be part of our conversation. I explained how I felt not safe and uneasy from their comments just cause the way I dress and the sense of fashion I’m into. I made sure I was heard, and I told him to have a conversation with his friends to try and resolve this issue that should haven’t ever even started. Thankfully he was a kind boy in the sense he heard me out word for word and understood my point of view. He had been in the same place but for different reasons.

After that day nothing happened again, I was proud of myself for speaking up to my teacher, even more so to one of the people who was part of the problem. I was proud! I said how I felt but also proud about how I stood up for myself and explained to them that what they did was not right.
    Just because someone dresses or looks a bit different than someone else doesn’t mean they deserve to be picked on and criticized for it. We all should be able to express ourselves in ways we feel and be accepted for who we are and to be proud of it and not be turned into an outcast.

I have many different ways I express myself and clothing is one of them. Everyone may not not like my style, but I do. Many other people like my style as well. There was a small moment in which I felt very happy to have heard that people like my style. My old high school has these little achievements such as “the person for best (blank) is …” and so on. There were so many different categories students would vote for. One day when I was walking back to my art class, I had heard these two people talking about how I should have won for best dressed. At that moment I had smiled to myself proud of who I was because of the comment of the mystery person. That was a moment I tend to look back at and realized there are so many other people that like how I dress besides just me. And that I should always dress how I feel is right and show it’s good to be who you are and that we should express ourselves in many ways.

While we are raised and go to school, we start learning about ourselves of what we like or who we wanna become. We start getting a clearer view about how everything around us works and even how different people think based on certain things we may see or even hear. Some of us tend to follow the so called “orders” of how this world wants us to run compared to how others may wanna “break out “of that so called “order”. We are taught when we are young to go with what is laid out in-front of us than to differ from that path all cause it’s what’s “right” when it’s not even close to being the actual “correct” thing.

When we do step out of the so called “normal” term, we are then criticized for being different from everyone. To me this thought and or treatment baffles me, cause how can people act like that when today in this society we live in people thrive for being different and bringing great ideas and creations for thinking out of our norm. I hope that sooner rather than later people start having a better view on how people express what they like or do and not quickly thinking it’s such a wrongdoing when it should be easily accepted like an everyday thing. We need more people who have the ability to just be themselves to show it’s okay to be you and not shy away from it because of possible backlash.

• Cristopher Nuñez –
      I really admire how you not only expressed yourself and stayed true to yourself through your fashion, but when people were disrespectful toward you, you stood up for yourself and didn’t compromise your attire just to satisfy others. It’s an important skill to have to be able to stick to your guns and not fold when people are jerks/ let your perspective be heard so they reconsider their behavior.

7. Obstacles and perseverance have shaped me to become who I am as it allowed me to mature my thinking and accept and adapt to situations that I start to face in my day-to-day life. My obstacles wear me out and break me down, leaving me to feel as if I can’t do much to help myself. I believe that this has helped me build character; reaching a certain low in any area in my life allowed me to go on a variety of emotions and adapt to new ways of thinking. With trial and error, my perseverance helped me push through many obstacles, with prayer and positive thinking I’m able to keep a level head and use my situations and obstacles more as a way to better myself as a person. I feel as if it is important to have them as it gives you a new lens on life for whatever your obstacles may be because your perseverance shows your effort. As a human being, I believe in a lot of things, naturally growing up in a religious household I believe in God, and keeping a healthy mindset and body. I believe that talking to God about my obstacles and asking for help on ways to get past them has helped me on a grand scale, as well as keeping a healthy mindset and body helps because if I’m able to have a strong way of thinking and while caring for my body’s health and needs I can live a good stress-free life.

8. Jose Diowo Jr.

What is life without adversity? Everyone fights their own battles every day. Some obstacles are too personal to share online with people. Growing up as a kid with split parents was an obstacle alone. I always wished, in the back of my head, that one day my parents would get back together I also knew my opinion wasn’t going to change anything. It felt like a constant mental battle seeing other kids get dropped off and picked up from school by both happy parents. I started to get over it throughout my middle school years. Something that kept my mind off everything was basketball. Basketball was like therapy to me. In eighth grade, I and my five friends carried the basketball team, which led to a 12-0 season, the best the school had ever had. We made it to the semi-finals where we lost by 3 points. The whole team cried even the players who didn’t play. After our season and school year half of us split up and went to different high schools which was hard but a reality. When I walked into high school at 5’1 I immediately realized I was way too undersized for high school ball. Although I made the freshman team and played well, I knew I would never see the varsity floor. And what even hurt more was knowing you wouldn’t be able to play the sport everyone knew you loved and played at the level you should be. Also, that you know you can do just as good as someone or maybe even better, but people only see what’s on the outside.

• I relate to a lot of what you discussed, from struggling with living with separated parents to having to overcome being undersized in high school sports. I’m glad that you were able to use basketball as a type of therapy, and I hope you found something new to fill that void once you could no longer use basketball.

• You bring up some good points that I can relate to as well. Growing up with split parents is a tough obstacle to get through when you are so young. I was the same way in the sense that sports were my time to get away from reality for a brief moment. The adversity of the obstacles we go through is life itself and what we do to overcome it determines who we are as a person, but as you said, “people only see what’s on the outside”. Great point to bring up as everyone goes through different obstacles and no one will know what you went through since they have not seen the perseverance needed to get to where you are now.

9. Saige C
    I believe in letting go, holding on too tight taught me that. Throughout my adolescent years, I have experienced what it’s like to be the new kid many times. I have experienced this several times that after a while, I get the urge to move and start over in a completely new place. Each time I start new, the feeling becomes different.
    The first time I moved was big news to me, considering we lived in a minuscule town. I was told we were moving to a completely different, but neighboring, country. Because I just finished 2nd grade, I could not comprehend what “moving away” really was. I had no way to connect to my childhood friends, but because I was so excited to start a new adventure, my contact with them fizzled out.
    After 3 years of living a new life, I was informed that we were moving back to the United states, and to a big city. I had some fond memories with friends I had made and thanks to the internet, I was able to keep in touch with all of them. The big move was the most exciting for me. I always dreamed of living in or near some great big city and it was finally happening. As for my friends, I tried to keep up with all of them but it ended up dwindling down to only one left.
    Middle school was a rough patch. I had no clique or friends, I felt alone. As I traveled through middle school, I met my “ride or die”, was officially introduced to the world of social media, and created a unique group of friends. I reconnected with old friends only to realize that we have become strangers to each other. This realization lingered in me as I continued to grow and develop myself through high school.
    And now I’m here, in a similar situation that cycles throughout my life. My friends and I have come to the realization that we will no longer be able to have our late night hangouts playing Mario Party or have our outings where we act like foolish teens. I do not want to lose my connection with them,but in order for all of us to continue to grow, I will have to let go and carry on to new chapters of my life with them as a great memory.

• I really agree with the idea of letting go to move forward. life is a lot like water: the tighter you grab on to it, the more it slips from your fingers. I’m also going to a different school from the rest of my friends. I guess everyone gets their own spin off.

10. Camicha Senat

Self-improvement is something I achieve every single day. In trying to reach success, I had to go back to the core values and old lessons that I had learned, which I’ve used to protect my personal and intimate relationships. What I especially needed when first entering this journey of peace within my environment and self.
    Today, I’ve reached the peak of my ever-continuing self-improvement journey, but it wasn’t always that way. I struggled with mental tribulations and incessant insecurities that led me into finding a missing comfort in the wrong relationship. Back then, what provided me solace also caused me to spiral to the point of feeling stuck. Where I couldn’t figure out whether to leave the source of pain or endure it with hopes of a better future for us, and while these persistent contemplations occurred, I was going to school late, grades changed poorly, and feelings of exhaustion and sadness became constant.
    Eventually, I had to let that relationship loose but that feeling of being stuck in time continued. This summer brought change, however, as I took steps toward my self-improvement journey. Finally freeing myself from physical constraints, but the mental ones too. And as a result of putting my energy towards friends and family that would not hurt me, exercises that built my confidence, revisiting old hobbies while creating new ones to keep me occupied, working towards financial independence and improvement, and an overall self-care regime that did not only rejuvenated me but also provided comfort. I became the best version of me that is not dependent on the troubles of the past and instead, ready to peacefully step into adulthood.
    Altogether, my past self was losing itself. Now, I have and get to further become the person I was meant to be. The me that is independent, happy, confident, and ambitious. I have crafted my whole life, actions, decisions, and interactions toward self-improvement. I would not invest myself, nor put myself at risk for something that could result to my detriment again. A journey that not only caused me to change myself but how I viewed the world. Where not only do I want to be the best version of myself, but also my endeavors and investments.

11. Yasmine Afram

I believe that obstacles are inevitable on the journey to success. Perseverance is the force that helps us to navigate challenges and reach our desired destination. Each hurdle we overcome shapes us, teaching us invaluable lessons. Persistently pushing forward, we build a foundation for lasting achievement and personal growth. Importantly, I believe to persevere does not mean doing it alone, behind most people’s success is a line of people who helped them get there.
    Obstacles, although intimidating, are blessings in disguise. They test us by pushing us beyond our comfort zones. Embracing hurdles enables us to uncover unknown potential within ourselves.
    I know everyone has obstacles thrown at them, the weight too heavy for them to carry by themselves. For me it was struggling with my mental health badly.I believe in advocating for self help. Some people feel that their problems are not bad enough for help. Each and every person deserves to feel supported. Invalidating your own feelings because someone else seems to have it worse is detrimental. It dismisses your own emotions and experiences. It’s important to acknowledge and validate your own emotions, regardless of how they compare to others, to seek support when needed. Your feelings matter, taking them seriously is a vital part of maintaining a healthy relationship with yourself for growth!
    In the journey of perseverance we have the chance to sculpt our character. By pushing forward, even when it seems impossible, we unlock our true potential and achieve results that are not only rewarding but proof of the strength of our spirit.

• I never viewed obstacles in this manner, but this is a positive way to view them. I always thought of obstacles as something negative but I guess they really can be a blessing in disguise and do unlock potential within ourselves. Pushing ourselves beyond our comfort zones can be a good thing and obstacles in life definitely do that. Next time I encounter one I will remember this. Thank you for expressing this point of view.

12. Johanna Cote
    I believe in faith. Sometimes, it’s faith in the happily ever after or the childlike belief of fairies. Just something that can make you hang on when times are tough. The thought of seeing someone you love again, the thought of meeting someone you instantly click with, even the thought of a far off adventure. I grew up on Disney movies and fantasy novels, sometimes wanting a prince charming and other days just an escape. Spending time at the library like it was a place from my favorite book, getting lost in my own writing, my best and worst trait since I was younger. My mind moving faster than I can type, able to control how a story goes, but not too much. Letting my brain say whatever it wants and going back later, seeing how a story turns out. Even in the darkest days, it can keep me going. Sometimes, it’s turning your space into something out of a Disney movie, or getting lost in a story, I think having faith in something more than what’s rooted in reality can get a lot of people through a tough time. I got through my own tough times by making dandelion wishes and doing my best to believe in better days, and I found those in fiction, in faith, in finding the dandelions and wishing on shooting stars. I found myself getting better over the years, but still keep that faith from the darker times.

13. The biggest obstacle in my life would be depression. In 2017 my mother passed away from acute cardiomyopathy. The prior week to her passing she was okay. Her symptom of pneumonia was the only indication something was wrong. Almost overnight her pneumonia became infected and spread to her bloodstream. It left my family and me completely in disarray.

This caused depression to take over my life essentially. I began to shut myself off from my family and friends. Anywhere I went, even in the comfort of my own home, I sat in despair. It made focusing on simple tasks seem impossible, let alone school or sports. The sky felt like it could come down at any minute, or the world could end and it wouldn’t make a difference to me. I tried therapy for a few months which seemed to only slightly alleviate the pain and heartache.

Fast forward to high school, and I slowly start to find myself again. I started playing football in which I found a second family. Slowly over time, I found friends I felt I could rely on despite how I felt. Even over quarantine, I found solace in speaking with them. My life started to piece itself back together. Listening to music also cleared away any negative feelings.

I was and still am healing. I found a sense of pride in myself now as well. I am able to work and function normally, and that perseverance allows me to keep going. I have mostly overcome my own problems and obstacles, which further gives me the strength to accomplish more in the future.

14. Dylan Amaral

Obstacles are well as all you guys know it a very important part of our lives. If it weren’t for our own personal obstacles, we would all pretty much be like robots in everyone’s “picture perfect world”. As we also know to overcome obstacles in our lives we must persevere. Of all the obstacles I’ve experienced in my life and had to persevere through, the most challenging one was without any doubt my elbow surgery due to baseball last year. That was my all-time low in life. I was overall just sad and angry at myself for allowing something so bad and harsh to my baseball career let alone my life occur so fast and easy. I remember it was yesterday, detail for detail, I still look back at it and think “what the heck was going through my head to do all those things. All things just to “numb the pain” literally in my arm and elbow. I still may have shoved that game and hit my velo pr on the mound but still didn’t save my ucl ligament in my elbow from shredding. Anyways enough with me rabbling on and on about how my injury occurred lets explain how I persevered through it and how it shaped me to be who and what I am today. I remember waking up post-surgery and saying “wow, I can’t feel a damn thing from my neck all the way down my arm”. Then I told myself “Now it’s time to lock in, make this right and kick recovery’s butt”. I’ll always appreciate the support people gave me but if you really know me you know I have a long list of doubts and people who though I was done for, would never throw a baseball on a mound again and that I’d be “washed”. So, I went on and used all that as further motivation than what I already had built up myself. First weeks were very hard I thought I would never see things through and that I was so weak minded and weak physically, but after the 2 to 3 month mark, I knew I could really overcome my own doubts and push through. This is when I really started to take care of my arm with arm-care routines and what I love so much now, the gym! Then weeks later I threw my first ball again in my basement and I never felt so much happier in my life. During that process of me throwing again and then the high school season starting soon I knew my time was coming sooner than later. So, with more hard work couple more months down the line, more physical training I got back on a mound and threw my first pitches off a mound. When I finished my little 25 pitch bullpen session and felt zero to very minimal soreness, I knew it was time to tell my coach “I’m ready to shove whenever you need me to”. Then that day came on my senior night, and I threw 62 pitches I think it was and it went great. Having the support of all my teammates and friends that day helped me push through a lot as well. After that day I had one last thing to accomplish, and that was have a good old official “Dylan Amaral shove day”. That day did come to happen in Worcester at Clark University for you know it coaches of UMASS Dartmouth on a travel team that they pretty much ran. It literally could not have gone any better, other than giving up my first ever homerun, but only positives here! My arm felt great after and I hit my pr on a mound again at around 86-88mph. Which is the hardest I’ve ever thrown so it felt even better when I was getting good feedback from the coaches and teammates I barley even knew. Well, that was longer than expected but when it comes to obstacles, persevering, and baseball I could go on and on all day about it. To finally wrap this up in one sentence this is what I got to say, don’t let your physical and mental failures stop you from doing what you love most, which in my case pitching. Hope my situation and story helps motivate you to dig deeper than you through you could and overcome any obstacle life throws at you!

15. Benjamine Ikeagwuonwu
    I believe that no matter what you should always be yourself. When I was younger I was always resented getting judged by other. People always had something to say about you regardless if its good or bad. There was a point in time where I felt like all the little things said about me would make me feel depressed over who I was. People would say things like “Why are you so big?”, “Why do you talk like that?” or ” Why is your last name so weird?” Over time I made me feel worse and worse about who I was as a person. During quarantine I had a lot of time to sit down with myself and self-reflect on the reasons why I felt so insecure. The realization hit me, I wasn’t showing myself enough love. I felt as if what other people said about me is what defined me, but I realized that I don’t have to let what other people say about me make me feel any less about myself. Once I started to let go of the things people tried to hang over me, I started to put myself out there more and be unapologetically myself. I became more outgoing, took opportunities that I wouldn’t have taken before, and overall started enjoying life more. I believe that when you let go of what people say and think about you, you can be more comfortable in your own skin and do things that you thought you couldn’t do before.

16. Molly G.

Obstacles. They are a natural part of life. Some people face many obstacles in their lifetime. Some people have big challenges, some people have many small challenges. What would you define as a big obstacle or challenge?

I believe that my type one diabetes is my biggest obstacle. It’s a hard disease to manage. I was diagnosed at nine years old, but let’s go back in time before that. The first obstacle I ever faced. Well, that would be the fact that I was born at 29 weeks, so I was very premature. I only weighed 2 pounds. Being so premature, I was predisposed to chronic health conditions from the beginning. I have struggled with my weight for most of my life, I was always trying to catch up to where I should be for my age and height. This meant that when I was nine, me losing a few pounds wasn’t that uncommon for me. However, I just continued to lose weight. My parents spent a lot of time with me at the doctors trying to fight for me, to get someone to realize something was wrong. Finally, on November 10th, 2014, my doctor tested my urine. My blood sugar was almost 600, which is very high. I was diagnosed with type one diabetes and rushed to Boston Childrens. I had a petrifying fear of needles, and needles were about to become my new normal. So, I had to battle with my anxieties over that, along with being sick in a hospital. Everything was a learning curve, I had to learn that my days would be different. Every day since then, my life revolves around my health, because one wrong move could lead to me ending up in the hospital fighting for my life. I have to pay attention to my blood sugars and how I’m feeling at all times. It doesn’t matter that it’s 2 am and I have school in the morning and I’m still full of dinner. If my blood sugar is low, I need to get up and have a snack and check it every 15 or so minutes until it returns to a normal level. Diabetes can be exhausting, but it’s also empowering.

My diabetes has taught me to take control of my mind and my body. I have had to face a lot of hardships and anxiety. I had bad social anxiety throughout middle school and high school, some of it caused by bullying, but it has all made me stronger into the person I am today. This has also taught me to know who my real friends are and to read people’s body language if I can. I just try to be ready for whatever life throws at me and to take things in stride. I am even interested in being a pediatric emergency room doctor, just like the doctors who helped me that day almost nine years ago. I persevere by dealing with my diabetes and being willing to try new things such as my insulin pump, I even try new foods that are allergen safe, like sushi for example.

17. Growing up I was always known to be the kid full of life and always smiling and always brining lots of energy, I was seen as outgoing and full of life according to my parents and siblings, but in the past two or three years I learned that there’s gonna be a time where I want be that same kid all the time.
    My sophomore year of HS was a new adjustment for me, due to covid I was stuck inside , not seeing friends as often, and dealing with online School, at first everything was okay but as the months went on things started to decline mentality for me, that burst of energy I used to have completely vanished, I was mentally weak, couldn’t eat, couldn’t sleep, I felt like I was at my lowest, and to make matters worse I was also dealing with my fathers health, and that fear of losing him made things worse. This was something I never faced before it was all so knew to me I didn’t know how to handle it, I felt as if day by day nothing was going good for me and that I didn’t have anyone in my corner. As time went on I was able to push through , my father got better, and I thought everything was fine with me. But it wasn’t until recently where I learned a lot about the challenges I faced and how I get through them, I felt alone ago this summer , I started to push away family, and friends at that point I felt like I really had no one and Id forever have no one , but I learned however that that was not true, my sisters made it clear to me that there is always an obstecal in life but its how you deal with it is what’s important, I learned that there was someone in my corner and that I don’t need to deal with these things alone and I’ll forever have people who care for me and I’ll always have people to turn to.

18. Jada Ofilos

I believe facing obstacles in life are important because some of your toughest battles are what shape you as a person. However, having perseverance is more important because you learn how to get through stuff. Persevering through what may seem like the hardest thing will build your character and confidence to get through life.

A personal experience was getting to my black belt test. During black belt training I was mentally and physically drained, I was getting myself to do stuff I could never imagine doing. I hated the way this made me feel and my passion for becoming a black belt was slowly fading. I ended up quitting karate. There were people that believed in me and talked me into coming back.
    I got back into the swing of things and a few months later I broke my toe in karate. This was a huge obstacle in my training because I couldn’t physically do anything. I was missing out on major classes for almost two months. I eventually was able to tolerate the pain of my toe and got back into karate.

During black belt training we would run the “black belt route” every Sunday. The black belt route included 3 and a half hills along with getting in as many laps as you could in the parking lot in an hour. Every Sunday I struggled. I was always the last one back. We were also evaluated by all ranks of blackbelts. I was called out every time. Becoming a black belt started to feel like something impossible because of all the obstacles I was facing.

I had perseverance and pushed through all the obstacles I was facing. The month before testing I pushed myself and I didn’t let anything get to my head. The day of the test I finished running the hills in thirty five minutes, during training I would take forty five minutes, and I completed seventeen laps, during training I would get no more than 10. I got my black belt after a thirteen hour test.

If I didn’t have perseverance after all the obstacles I was facing internally and externally I would have never gotten my black belt. That moment built my confidence and made me believe I could get through any obstacle life throws at me as long as I persevere.

19. Leslie T

One of the major obstacles in my life is my anxiety. My whole life I have been told I am too quite, that I need to speak up. But all that has done is make me more insecure about my quiet personality. Why do I need to be loud for people to take me seriously? I often think to myself
    “Why?” Life would be so much easier if I didn’t have this constant worry.
    Whenever I have to talk to someone new or make a phone call I can feel my stomach start to ache and my palms start to get sweaty. It makes it very hard to talk to people but yet I talk to people anyway. I have begun to slowly branch outside of my comfort zone in hopes to be that person I’ve always wanted to be. I am going on a big trip in a week that is very far out of my comfort zone. I am flying on a plane by myself to the other side of the United States to go to kcon, which is a kpop convention. Although I am going to the convention with a friend, it still makes me really anxious. I know it is going to be loud, and I know there will be a lot of people but I believe that this trip can help me get used to new environments and experiences by testing my ability to navigate my way through unknown places. I also believe that this trip will help me become a little better at talking to people because I know I will need to ask someone for directions.

• i like how this essay captures the challenges of dealing with anxiety and the pressure to conform to societal expectations. Your honest reflection on the journey to overcome your quiet personality is inspiring. Having the willingness to step outside of your comfort zone and embark on a daunting trip demonstrates remarkable courage and a commitment to personal growth. The essay effectively highlights the connection between confronting anxiety and developing interpersonal skills, offering a relatable and hopeful essay.

• Hello Leslie, I never thought I would be able to relate so closely to someone that is a stranger to me. When I was 12, I experienced a big loss in my life, and grief, anxiety, and depression all came with the loss my family and I faced. Leaving the house was difficult, never mind having to speak up or talk to someone new. Anxiety attacks occurred every once in a while and it furthered my insecurity of being the quiet girl that couldn’t comfortably talk to anyone. Six years later, I overcame the long journey without a close family member, and was able to pursue my goals of graduating high school, and now entering into my dream field of Nursing in a highly rated university.

20. Shengru Z.
    When people mention perseverance, they might think of some significant conflict and effort. For some, it could be as small as clicking play again.
    For me, perseverance was as simple as clicking the red “play again” button after losing a match in my favorite game. The decision to continue queuing after a loss is often met with doubts like whether or not I’ll have good teammates, whether or not I’ll continue the losing streak, or even something as simple as not playing well enough. When I’m in the game, there are moments that make playing the game demoralizing and completely miserable. Though there are low points when playing this game there are also high points. These moments in this game helped shape how I think when it presented a low point in whatever I might be doing. This way of thinking helped shaped the way I approach obstacles and challenges.

21. Ronan M

I am autistic. I have known this since I was very young. I also have ADHD which I was diagnosed with much later in my life. Due to my differences I have experienced many difficulties in my life. It has often been hard for me to get things done. My executive dysfunction has made it so that it can take me forever to get things done. One of the biggest hurdles for me is often starting to work on something. A lot of times work can seem larger and more threatening than they actually are. This can also apply to my social life. Talking to people doesn’t always make sense and confuses me. I often don’t know what I can add to the conversation. It has been very difficult for me to try to hang out with people outside of school. Even though it is difficult for me I have tried to work on getting better at what I’m bad at. I have established friendships through running cross country. I have also been able to get work done even though it may be intimidating to me and I can be late to start things. While I still have trouble I have been able to immensely improve what I can do in both my work and my social life. In college I plan on continuing to improve my work and abilities. I also hope that I can forge friendships with my classmates at UMass Dartmouth that will last a long time.

22. Christian C

I believe there is no greater teacher in life than failure. With every mistake, there is a lesson to be learned. It is useful to think of it as a necessary step towards success. In my personal life, I suppose I would attribute this acceptance of failure to my passion for baseball. This is because baseball is inherently a game of failure. As one of my travel coaches liked to say, “if you get a hit three times in ten at-bats you’re a hall of famer, and if you get four, you’re the best the game has ever seen.” This was crucial in helping me understand the inevitability of struggling. I would never hang my head after a strikeout or an error because I knew I would have more opportunities to make up for it. Sure, it can be mentally taxing when you are stuck in a slump for a long stretch, but at the end of the day it is just a game. In life, everyone fails, and there can be much more profound consequences in doing so. Despite this, I still maintain that same mindset that baseball gifted me. This especially came in handy during my junior year of high school. I remember struggling in chemistry, while being buried in work from other classes and being involved in sports. But instead of letting the pressure continue to build, I put my head down and cracked away. I would stay up late studying, reviewing old tests and quizzes that I had done poorly on, and watching as many videos as possible online to finally understand the material. Come time for the final, I had prepared myself enough through past failures to apply what I had learned and do well on the test. Moments like this just solidify the notion that failure truly defines a person and is essential in building one’s character. Do not run from it, learn from it.

23. I believe that the obstacles we face in life mold us into who we are meant to be. I know most people would love to enjoy a life with no adversities, but that’s simply not realistic. Most times when we face challenges we question why it’s happening and we are often quick to give up. I was taught no matter the obstacle you will overcome it. That mindset that was instilled in me helped me through the hardest times in my life. Earlier this year I fell out with two people who were the most important to me at the time. Even though that was by far not my worst obstacle in life it was so painful because I knew I could have prevented it. In the months prior to that, I had not been my best self and those two people were like a light in a dark tunnel for me. I wasn’t able to hold myself up and they were like my crutches, when we fell out it felt like my crutches were plucked from beneath me. This put me in a dark place and every day made me feel as if I would never move past it although I knew I would. One day I woke up and decided I could not just sit and sulk. I took the time to work on myself. I wrote in my journal every day. I read books to better understand my situation. I worked out. As I did these things I slowly felt myself crawl out of the slump I was in. My days became brighter and my heart felt lighter until eventually all the heaviness was gone. I hate that I had to endure the feeling of heartache for so long but, who I am becoming is better than who I used to be. I’ve realized that you have to go through things to get through them. There is no way around it, you have to persevere.

24. Dario G
    In the fall of 2016, I broke my leg. What I thought would be one of the worst experiences in my life turned out to be a valuable learning experience. It all happened during a soccer match. I’ve been playing soccer ever since I could walk and not once have I ever got a severe injury. To me, it was just another day of doing what I loved. It wasn’t even 5 minutes into the game until someone came crashing into me. They came at full speed to tackle me and in an instant, I heard a loud noise. SNAP! Adrenaline was running through my body so I wasn’t sure where that noise came from. I laid on the ground for a good minute until it hit me. Pain. All I felt was the pain and instantly burst into tears. It was pure agony. I was rushed to the hospital where my leg would be put into a cast. I was left heartbroken. I couldn’t do the one thing that I loved. It would be months until my leg fully healed. At the time I thought I wouldn’t be the same. However, after my leg healed I instantly got back to doing what I loved. It didn’t feel the same at first but after months of playing, I was back to where I was. This experience has taught me to keep pushing forward even when there are setbacks.

25. Hi, im Hezekiah

I suffer from a skin condition that makes me very sensitive to heat. it makes a everyday task a struggled. i have went to several doctors and I was never given a proper name for it. It gives me the another look on life and how people who go through worst stuff then me live. i struggle to deal with it, but i find as many ways as possible to try. i use it to my advantage when i play my sports as a push to go harder. i know that im not the only one with a issue like this, so i wonder how they think and act. it makes me want to help them too. that is why i chose my psychology courses.

26. Diana L

I believe that being comfortable with putting yourself in uncomfortable situations benefits you in the long run. Growing up I was always scared to open up to new exposer I was always stuck with the things I was used to. As I grew older I began to realize that I won’t always have someone to speak up for me or won’t have the people I am close with to rely on all the time. I learned that I had to put myself out of my comfort zone in order to get what I wanted because I can’t just be stuck with the same stuff all the time. When I began to look for a roommate to dorm with I was struggling because I was so used to being with my friends that I have now and going out my way to find a complete stranger to me and text them to get to know them was scary to me. At first I was just going to look forward to dorming with my best friend, however I was talking to my post secondary counselor and I was telling him about my thoughts. I explained how we were considering rooming together but then also explained how we were also scared about our negative interactions and we came to the conclusion that it was better for us to just keep our friendship instead of rooming together and end up fighting and ruining our friendship. My best friend has always been the more outgoing person. She’ll talk to anyone without being scared so anytime we meet new people she’s usually the first person to talk and start the conversation whereas I am usually the quieter person unless I am spoken to first then I start getting comfortable. When I was looking for my roommate she had already found me one however I felt like she wasn’t as outgoing but I wasn’t sure about what to do. I felt like we didn’t really connect but I knew I had to say something and I had to step out of my comfort zone or else I would’ve ended up with someone that just wasn’t for me. I was still scared. One day I got a dm from this super sweet girl who wanted to room with me. I explained the situation to her and she convinced me to speak up. I was able to talk to her about anything, I had found my roommate! I texted the other girl the next day I explained how I felt like it would be better for us to be friends and how we wouldn’t be able to room with each other because we had different interests and majors so either way we wouldn’t be able to room because our school makes us room with people with the same major. She texted me back and she was completely fine with it and understood. Right there and then I realized I had to be comfortable with being uncomfortable because speaking up isn’t the worst thing and you’re able to find what is most beneficial for you. Now I have my current roommate and even though I wouldn’t have thought we would talk she’s literally me in a different body. What I realized at that moment was that sometimes putting yourself first isn’t selfish but you have to look out for yourself and sometimes being in situations in which you’re gonna have a conversation with someone that you aren’t really comfortable with will turn out to be a good outcome, for example a start of a new friendship.

27. Marron S.

Everyone around the world has a story of their own, and core values that represent themselves. One of the core values that shapes my daily life would have to be that mistakes happen. The thing is when these mistakes happen, they may recreate your perspective on life and what you need to change to improve your mentality. I have learned that to be happy is to accept your past and create a positive environment around that, to show growth. The only way to move on in life is to forgive and to move on to a new becoming. I show this because in many lives including my own I have learned that my mistakes are valuable to not only me but also the people that surround me. It shows others that they don’t have to be alone regardless of what they may be going through, and it can also help shape being vulnerable and understanding, which is not always a bad thing. Not all beliefs will be the same and not everyone will agree on certain statements but we all do come from the same place and learn about each other’s ways and perspectives on life. It is valuable to show compassion for others and love as well as support. Without that the world would be filled with hatred and despair. Mistakes are what has shaped us into the amazing people that we are today and without that everyone would just be dull and lifeless. To conclude, mistakes are okay as long as you can move past them, learn from them and improve from them. It is okay to not be okay with some of the mistakes that are made which is why it is so important to have friends or family that you are able to talk to about them. As long as you can make mistakes you will always be able to fix them as well.

• I absolutely agree. So many people are unable to move past something that you can grow from and repair. It holds us back, causes anguish. The greatest thing we can do is being able to recognize your weakness and how to make it your strength. As long as you can grow, your past can make you stronger.
      Thank you for sharing!

28. To my understanding, the average person often has troubles within themselves whenever they choose to begin a new relationship with someone. Whether it be trying to make new friends when in an unfamiliar place, or choosing to take a relationship with someone more seriously, the decisions made with that person are bound to set a precedent for yourself for the future.
    At the age when students are growing and their relationships shift and change, there is bound to be differences that nobody wants to experience. You may gain new friends and acquaintances, while also growing distant or out of touch from others. You may have a small fight with someone that grows into something big enough that it severs the tie that the two of you had. Either way, no matter how you grow distant from someone, you still carry with you the memories and experiences you shared with that person. Going into the future, you will carry that with you, and it will shape your new ties with people. The influence that somebody had in your life is unshakeable.
    However, while many will be scared to repeat the same mistakes that led to a severed friendship, it is important to remember that history is not bound to repeat itself. In learning from these experiences, you will know how to understand another person better, and how best to protect the people you hold dear. The resilience to prevent history repeating itself is stronger than you think.

29. Dakotah W.

This story may not fit the category as much as others, but it is persevering through an obstacle. A significant belief of mine is that everything happens for a reason; I quote this many times a day, especially when something is challenging. As we all know, applying to college, especially to a competitive major like nursing, can be difficult and discouraging at some points. I let that all get to my head and didn’t believe I would get into a four-year college nursing program, so I just gave up and didn’t apply to any universities. I thought, “Hey, I can still be an RN if I get my associate’s degree.” That’s what my decision was. I applied to BCC for their nursing program and would go for my bachelor’s after I became an RN. A few days later, I got an email claiming my application needed to be completed. That year, BCC needed incoming nursing students to complete the TEAS test, which I needed to learn about when first applying. That test was expensive and complex. That meant I needed to apply for either general education or bite the bullet and apply to Umass Dartmouth. The whole scenario proved that everything does happen for a reason. I applied to Umass Dartmouth with a major in nursing and was accepted weeks later. Although I didn’t believe in myself, the universe did, providing me with a tremendous opportunity. This all taught me that you have no one else, but yourself to rely on. Believing in yourself is the best advice a person could know, I just took me a few years to realize.

30. I have persevered through a lot of obstacles, and I can say that the biggest lesson that I have learned from all my troubles is that you cannot survive alone; everybody needs somebody. In this world, it is crucial to not be afraid to ask for help. A video I was watching by a creator named Tallanandsigmund said it best: “Animals are born with their most essential instincts available to them; giraffes are born able to run; snakes are born able to bite “You are able to ask for help; to cry for help is your most important survival mechanism; it has been with you since day one, and you need it. This is one of the most important lessons I had to learn, and it’s one that’s helped me the most by far. Everyone needs a support system—a good, genuine group of people by their side. This is why therapists have therapists. Having the right people in your corner will help you thrive. And that’s what I realized was happening with me. I went from being someone who was ignorant and shut down to one of the best versions of myself. That didn’t happen until I started asking for help. The second I started talking to my teachers and building connections with them, school became a lot easier. I went from struggling with work and being severely anxious to feeling a lot more comfortable; I felt a part of the class. This allowed me to get out of my shell and start sharing my ideas and work. Building this relationship created a space for me to openly communicate with my teachers about anything I was struggling with or anything that was bothering me inside and outside of the classroom. I still have teachers that I speak to regularly and look up to. They have become my mentors in life. This does not only apply to school and in the classroom; it is also apparent in my everyday life. It was the most prominent in my friendships when I started opening up and communicating with my friends. It allowed our friendship to become much more profound; it built a strong connection between us, and now our friendship has been going on for 7 years, and we all consider each other family. We have built such a good relationship that we go to each other when we need a reset from the world. These people ground me. My friends have challenged me, called me out, and most importantly, they did it all in love. They allowed me to grow and make mistakes without judgment, and all of this wouldn’t have been possible if I hadn’t asked them for help one lousy day in sixth grade. Now don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying that simply asking for help will guarantee you automatic lifelong friendships, but it’s a good start. Building yourself up to be able to put yourself out there and ask for help will bring you very far. It does take a lot of practice to be able to get there, but that’s not the most crucial part; The things you go through to get to the point where you can say it is what matter. It’s hard to explain, but there’s something that you build within yourself that never goes away it only keeps building.

31. Obstacles have been a big part of my life for the past four years. Since I can remember, I’ve played basketball and always loved the game for the sport but for the opportunities, memoirs, and, most importantly, friendships. I’ve never had to endure much hardship or challenges until I reached the age of 15 when I tore my left ACL in an AAU basketball game. With this injury, it came with surgery that changed my life. Although I’ve lost once-in-a-lifetime chances, went into moments of depression, and endured months of pain, I’ve learned so much about myself, my true friends, and what I’m capable of. I believe that obstacles are meant to shape the person you are in the view that if you do not go through barriers that make you question yourself, your surroundings, and your limits, you will not grow. The hardest part of my recovery was attending my teammate’s games and supporting them even if I couldn’t participate. More times than I should have, I envied my friend’s golden moments that I couldn’t share with them. This jealousy I grew towards the people I grew up with put me in a deep depression. I kept asking myself, “Why do you feel this way? These are your friends.” You should be happy for them.” Still, I couldn’t be satisfied knowing that could be me if the circumstances weren’t as so. I decided I would take time for myself to learn and understand the feeling I were going through. I understood that it was okay to feel how I was feeling and that I shouldn’t feel like I was the wrong person or an awful friend.