UMassD Believes

Summer Writing Project

Living in the Moment

What do you believe about living in the moment?

Post submissions here that match this topic thread in comments.

58 Comments

1. Sofia D

Living in the moment is being only focused on the present task or experience at hand. In order to live in the moment all past worries, anxieties, or failures and future plans must be put aside.

Although it is wise to have future plans and goals, it is also equally important to take life one day at a time, making memories and goals as you go.

If you are not living in the moment you are not truly living. You will allow yourself to breeze through accomplishments and milestones. You will miss the little things in life that make it worthwhile such as the laughter shared between you and your loved ones, the excitement of new beginnings, and the sadness that makes us stronger.

For as long as I can remember I have allowed myself to get caught up in the pressures and expectations of my life and have failed to live in the moment. In the past few years however, a switch was flipped inside me. A sudden death in my family opened my eyes and made it clear that not everyday is promised, making me realize we should all make the most of every moment we are granted.

More recently I have embraced the saying “I will get there when I get there,” meaning I am in no rush to leave the present. Living in the moment is the key to a successful and fulfilling life and so I believe everyone should learn from the past, plan for the future, but most importantly live in the moment.

• I completely agree with the point you made about how it is equally important to plan for your future as it is to focus on enjoying the small moments as they come. I, for one, have been raised to always have goals for myself and to set a certain path in order to reach those goals. Over time, I began to realize the importance of making sure I enjoy the everyday things too!

• I like the saying that you used “I will get there when I get there”, many people seem to rush into making decisions when they don’t know how it will effect them instead of waiting.

• I agree with this statement. I feel as though in today’s day and age we pressure ourselves to be so focused on the future successes and life. If we just take the time to focus on the present time, then we’d see that a good life comes with it.

2. It was a cold Saturday afternoon in December. Three year old Mardochee and her sister were getting her hair done by their mother. Her father walks in through the front door of their apartment and storms to the bedroom. He packs his things and prepares to make his final exit. Mardochee runs and hangs on to her father’s leg and says “Daddy, where are you going?” “Take me with you!” My mother hoping my father will take action, remains seated without making a sound, and watches the entire thing go down. I eventually give way for my father to leave, that was the last time I ever saw him walk through my front door.

I am now almost 18 years old. My parents have never rekindled their marriage, and neither has my mother found anyone since then. I have lived in a single parent household my entire life. My house has always only consisted of girls: my mother, sister, grandma and I. This has affected me in more ways than one. Financially we have struggled a lot, I was forced to live with my aunt for most of my life due to us not being able to afford the apartment complex anymore. I was deprived of many experiences that a girl should enjoy with her father and even her mother. My mom has always had to work 2 jobs to support us, which makes her unavailable physically and emotionally. I was practically raised by other people like my grandma and my aunt.

However, all this has made me a stronger woman. Growing up, my safe haven was my church. This is where I’ve made some of the greatest friendships in my entire life. These friendships turned into sisterhoods, and I know the bond I’ve formed with them will last forever. I buried the struggles of my life into ministry. It was where I could be a whole different person. On the outside I was lonely, had no friends, and depressed. In the church I was happy, surrounded by love, and was doing what I loved.

I have big dreams and goals. I am currently the CEO of “Glam by Chèe” and “Chèe Lashed Me”; my businesses that provide makeup and lash services. My business is rooted in the goal of leaving behind a legacy for my children so that they never have to suffer the way I did.

These experiences have shaped me in ways that I cannot begin to fathom. I would have never been the person I am today without enduring such trials and tribulations. I do not regret anything I have been through in life, and I am ready to take on whatever life will throw at me in the years to come.

• First off, I love how you started your writing as a story of your life. I thought that was very unique for this assignment. Second off, I, too, grew up in a single parent all female household for the vast majority of my childhood and it definitely changed me in significant ways. I enjoy how you talk about how it changed you and impacted you for the better and you did not dwell on the negatives that came with it.

3. Vanessa Albino

I believe there is something beautiful in being juvenile. There is a short story by Sandra Cisneros called “Eleven”. It depicts the life of a little girl who has just turned eleven and although she has grown older she is caught up in the conundrum of which she still has days where she feels ten and nine and eight and so forth. I still have days where I feel so starkly young and it is something to be embraced. Today I am eighteen but I will have days where I am nothing but a tearful ten year old upset over something fickle.
    I believe that people should be unabashed in their youth regardless of how old they are because the silly, stupid moments in life are what makes things worth it. Not everyone is ready to handle the maturity and sincerity that accompanies growing older and my belief is that they shouldn’t have to. No one should ever be ashamed to act in a childish manner, we all have days where we feel pathetically childish and should be welcomed instead of fought.
    After turning eighteen, I was met with this sudden realization that I was eventually going to have to let my youth go in pursuit of a more mature and professional life and I have come to the conclusion that I shouldn’t have to pick between either or, I can have both. Going into college is a new, novel experience, it’s intimidating and grueling but I hope to keep the piece of myself that is still lively and young even though I will have to sensible and responsible.

• This transition into college is a pivotal time in our lives, yet that doesn’t mean we have to drop our childhood and enter into a rigid, adult lifestyle. What a great way to live and I agree with you completely, our youthful selves should join us on our journey through life.

4. Branden Schenck

Living Life in the Moment

Living life in the moment to me means to cherish every moment and second of your life, to be comfortable with being a little uncomfortable as a lot of my football coaches would say means to enjoy life to the fullest and get out of your comfort . It also means to take life one step at a time and not try to go at 100 miles an hour. Sometimes you just have to slow down and live life to the fullest. An example of this with me is in my everyday life I choose to sometimes just go on with life without a plan. Sometimes that means even taking many risks. Living life in the moment also means to show positive energy at all times and to never show anyone any type of hatred. Living life in the moment can also mean no longer worrying about what happened in the past and not fearing what will happen in the future. This means to me you can’t change what has already happened, you can only change what will happen in this very moment of your life. But to me, Branden Schenck, the funny, risk taking, football player loves taking risks and will continue to live life in the moment even if that means one second at a time. Yes there will be bad days yes there will be good days but I know that I can keep on going on with my life if i Live it one moment at time.

• I totally agree with your sentiment about not having to worry about the future or the past as long as you remain in the present. It’s hard to not worry about what’s to come, or regret what you have or have not done, but allowing yourself to learn from the past and grow in the future is all that really matters. As long as you allow yourself time in the present, things won’t seem as bad.

• Taking things slow and really enjoying the moment could really benefit you and the people around you as well. A lot of people take life for granted and miss out on a lot of the positive and fun things they could’ve experienced if they took the time to just be in the moment.

• This was one of the best responses in my opinion for all that you said about being in the moment can make you worry less, which is what many people need during school. It definitely changed ways how I need to learn myself to live more.

• This is great 100% agree with you. Slowing down and living life to the fullest is what life is all about.

• Very heartfelt and well written find this to be very relatable.

5. Myles B

I believe that everyone should live their life to the fullest. I’ve grown to live by this, and its something I believe everyone should at least everyone should at least reflect on. Once the COVID restrictions lifted, I realized just how much time us as 2023 High School Graduates had lost. I have made it sort of a goal for myself to just do as much as I can in the time I have. Following this belief has led me to venture far outside of my comfort zone, try new things, go new places, and most importantly meet new people. I never knew that such a simple thing as changing your mindset could lead to such self improvement. Overall I have become happier, more outgoing, and frankly more pleasant to be around. To end everything off, I hope everyone has a great time attending UMD, and that we can all learn from each other. Make sure not to let time get away from you, and stay focused.

• I like the message at the end a lot and I agree that once COVID lifted I also wanted to go out there and just live life more and try new things.

• I agree with this, time is moving faster than we can keep up with. I personally set goals for myself too while jumping out of my comfort zone. Great response!!

6. Josh W
    I believe in living in the moment, I am filled with determination, willpower, and boldness. This pivotal moment marks the start of a brand new chapter in my life or a clean slate, as I don’t expect college to be any similar to high school. This is where I will embrace new experiences, become more open-minded, and have self-discovery. I believe in education to shape my future and improve my opportunity to make a difference in the world we live in. I understand that the path ahead may be demanding, but I am committed to putting the necessary effort into my studies. I believe in the importance of building meaningful relationships and I will actively engage with my peers, professors, and advisors, seeking advice, collaborating on projects, and sharing ideas. I believe in embracing diversity and respecting different perspectives. College is full of various backgrounds and cultures. I will actively seek out opportunities to engage in conversations and activities that broaden my horizons. I’m expecting myself to be more outgoing from high school and make friendships with more people. By embracing diversity, I will become a more compassionate and globally aware individual. I believe in determination, as I got that from sports in the past. Challenges and setbacks are inevitable, but I will face them head-on, learning from each experience and using them as stepping stones toward personal and academic growth. As I embark on my college journey, I am ready to embrace living in the moment for these four years of college.

7. Rose N bc

Living in the moment was always a struggle for me. It was always looked down upon from family making it difficult for me to embrace it. Throughout my highschool years I wasn’t really eager to change that until my senior year. My. Senior year I really started branching out and connecting with new people. Among those people I found my best friends. By my luck they were the most spur of the moment, on the fly people. Talk about culture shock! I started hanging out with them a lot more which resulted in me joining in on these on the spot moments. Instead of being out once a week like I used to I was out minimum three times a week. A lot of People took notice on my changed behavior and started commenting on how much I have changed. My teachers and peers pointed out how much happier I seemed but my family noticed the most. My family really struggled when I slowly started to become more spontaneous and short noticed. It took them a while to accept that was no longer always free for them. I also struggled personally to get over that fear of not only last minute plans but my parents judgement. It took a lot of conversations and time to get them to understand why I was drawn to this new lifestyle. In just the short year I was convinced and taught that being spontaneous and living in the moment was not only fun but a tool for success.

8. Kuukuwa D.

This funny thing we call life comes with so many twists and turns it’s hard for one to truly keep track of them all. I mean our brains only have so much space, we tend to think our memories consist of the big events in life. Like a trip you might have taken, or the death of a loved one. But that’s understandable, we as humans tend to remember big events like that because most of the time the occurrence of said events lead to a change or shift in the way we approach life. And yes, there is no denying that huge events, whether good or bad help to mold someone into the person they decide to be. But so do the small ones, the moments we don’t pay attention to at the moment but realize when we look back on them. Those moments affect us so much more than we realize because they evoke feelings of guilt, gratitude, and so much more. Taking myself as an example, having my grandmother pass away was a huge event that shaped me as a person and that wasn’t because of her manner of death, neither was it because of the love I had for her. It was because I would continuously look at the moments we shared like eating rice and stew together or even me going to get her handkerchief for her. They weren’t anything big, but those were the moments where I smiled the most with her, where I felt the closest to her, and most importantly where I learned the most from her. I find it sad that it took her dying for me to appreciate those moments. But it also made me realize why we as a society as a human race need to be present in our lives at this very moment. We overlook the present and dwell on it when it becomes the past knowing it has already been and done, we put our very own lives on hold to imagine that very life in the future knowing that the future may very well never come. Life is so unpredictable and that’s why we need to be present but aware, it’s okay to think about the future and reminisce on the past but don’t let those think cloud up the life you are living right now. We shouldn’t focus on the thing that we could have done or the things we will do, but we should focus on the things that we can do. Living in the moment makes you cherish things in a way you can’t do once they’ve already passed. it changes your life for the better because you don’t sweat the small stuff, and you don’t worry about the things that you can’t control. As college students, we know that this journey is not going to be easy, but that’s why it’s even more important for us to have this mindset because without it we would be doing ourselves a great dishonor and not living life to its fullest.

• I agree with what you are talking about. Life itself has many twists and turns and we, as humans, have to either manipulate it, roll with it and/or change it to have the best outcome. But there are some moments we cannot change to how we want it. Any event can change a person completely whether it’s one or more, anything can happen. The people we met along the way or the things we find or interact with can make anything happen whether it’s good or bad. But you don’t realize the impact until it happens. Until something you love, like, hate or anything else. You will know the impact it had in you after it’s gone. I believe, as well, to live life at its fullest.

• This is a great response, you used great examples. I agree with not sweating the small stuff and living every moment of your life to the fullest.

9. Aaron M

I think the term “living in the moment” I think is taking in your surroundings and just being present in enjoying wherever you seem to be. It’s your brain not thinking about what you have to do later , like what chores need to be done or thinking about the past wondering trivial things such as what did I eat two weeks ago? The term “What If?” are erased from thought. It’s soaking in everything around you with a smile. The reason why the term living in the moment means so much to me is I think it’s quintessential for having a life that truly someone can look back on with fond memories and smile knowing that they can say more than just going day by day but each day being present and enjoying it. One of the best examples I can think of was going to a grunge concert . I met people from all different stages of life, I met a lady who was in her mid seventies who was retired and grandma , a couple who just had their first born and it was the first night in weeks where it was a time just for them. College students coming from a city over three hours away. Now these people are different with each having contrasting priorities, responsibilities, and lifestyles. But they were connected by one thing: they were living in the moment. Rocking their heads back and forth and taking in the environment and music. Living in the moment.

• As you stated I think that it is important to release the “What if?” thought to live in the moment. It is interesting to go to concerts and look around to see that there a different experiences but all in that same moment.

• I agree with your statement, you want to live in the now and not the then, focusing on today.

• Dalphe V

I like how you used the concert experience along with the people that you met there as a way to show how people are living in the moment and why it’s important. Although these people are from different walks of life with different responsibilities, they find themselves at the same place during this concert just living in the moment.

• Great perspective on living in the moment Aaron, incredibly thought provoking.

10. Gricelda M.
    I don’t know what I believe in. I’ve procrastinated this statement because truth be told I’ve had a hard time coming to terms with the truth. I don’t know who I am. That’s a scary statement. I was rereading documents I wrote in the past, small journal entries. Despite being littered in spelling and grammatical errors the one thing they all had was passion. They all sounded like the writing of a person who was feeling everything and was putting it on the page. I often fear I have lost that ability, that I lost the little girl I used to be. She was kind and loving, caring, thoughtful, so full of curiosity, passion and thoughts even if she was quiet. I often feel desperate to find that same energy for life, that same drive. Now that I’m going to college people often say you will find yourself, but I believe that it’s ok, it’s ok to be lost, to grieve the person you were and to hope for who you will become. I believe we should talk more often about the struggle of feeling alone in the confusion and chaos of growing up. Hopefully we can all find some peace in knowing we are not the only ones who were not sure what to write for this. I believe we are all growing up, whether you know exactly who you are or not at all or somewhere in between you are entitled to be at any stage you are. Remember life moves fast or slow depending on whose clock you compare to.

• Gricelda M.
      I loved your statement about talking more about the struggles of feeling alone in the confusion and chaos of growing up Personally speaking from my experience I think that if I was more open to sharing those thoughts with the people around me then maybe it wouldn’t have been so hard to accept it all.

11. Patrick N

Growing up as I have in the last few years of my life there has only ever been one constant: The TV is always on. It’s old. One of the ones that’s huge and bulky and it’s got a projector in the back and it weighs more than a fridge. It never works quite the way it’s supposed to because it never plays any shows it always just runs black and white and produces that static white noise. Over the last few years I’ve been trying to turn this TV off but no matter what I do I can’t get the white noise to ever let go. And every day that this TV is on just playing static I’ve wondered about what TV shows I could be missing. What movie is playing on the other side of the grainy, hazy horizon that I will never truly be able to enjoy. Eventually it became my mission to shut that TV off. I just want the noise to stop and if the noise stopped I can pick yourself up, carry on, and begin to enjoy the finer things in life. But of course I can’t leave the room either because the door is locked and there are no windows.

One day pretty recently, I was in the car, tv static going, listening to some shuffle of some sort on Spotify and I hear “A person who thinks all the time has nothing to think about except thoughts” and immediately as I heard that the static died down a little. I look out the window to a beautiful 70-80 degree day, mountains in the distance, boats on the water down below and I had an epiphany. All of the moments in life that I was worried I would miss out on would only ever be missed out on if I continued to worry about missing out on them. A never ending internal monologue caught myself up in anxiety and worries that I never really needed to concern myself with. I’ve been so worried and anxious about living in the moment that I haven’t actually given myself a chance to try doing what I’ve been so concerned about.

With the static quieting down I notice a lot more. “Hey there’s that car I like…these flowers smell nice…my cats are cool af bro y’all are funny…” Before this it would have been just been more white noise but more and more I’ve been able to see what show or movie is playing or live in the moment of life that I’m going to tell my children and grandchildren about.

12. In my own beliefs and experiences, I think that living in the moment means to live life to the fullest extent you can, making choices in the moment that set you up to have an amazing life, while also having fun in the present. You will always have the opportunity to live your dreams, but you only have a little time to do things right now, before the moment passes. For me, being an electrical engineer and taking everything my dad does to the next level in a corporate job is my dream, but in the moment, I love hanging out with friends and playing video games or even watching movies with my family. It has always been harder for me to branch out and do things with other friends and it is still a problem for me today. What helps me when a moment is presented to me is I think about all the memories I can make at that place with that person and how much I will reflect back on those memories when I am in that position I want to be in life. Moments like those will stay with you forever. One of my favorite movie quotes was from Kung Fu Panda and it resonates with me whenever I live for the moment. “Yesterday was history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift, that is why it is called the present.” So, for me, living in the moment means to make memories in the present, so when you take a look back on life you can see how much fun you had when you were young.

• I agree, I feel like living in the now and taking it day by day is one of the most important things you can do. We have our whole life to follow our dreams, just like you I want to become and electrical engineer to make something if myself for my family. The people you surround yourself with now, are going to shape you and the path you take. it is important to take leaps.

13. Naijaiah Dang
    Living in the moment is the youth and spirit of the soul. The want to be spontaneous with no path or direction. Looking for something with no label. Living in the moment is being opened minded, cherishing things in the moment instead of dwelling on your pass. The opportunity for a new adventure. To be free and just enjoy the quality of life .

• I completely agree with everything that you said here, being free and just enjoying the quality of life is something that seems so simple yet is often overlooked by worrying about what comes next rather than enjoying what’s right in front of you.

14. When you think about something for too long, you start to hesitate and don’t end up following through. Even now I’m hesitant on what to write in this post because everyone’s view is different, along with their opinions. Learning to turn off my brain when it came to certain things took a very long time, and still, I struggle when it comes to letting go and just going with the flow. Growing up I was the type of pf kid that got good grades, never went out, and never got into trouble. I was always overthinking about everything, including my future. However, now that I am older, I learned that you need you start cherishing every moment and taking a risk. Now I think it is the most important aspect of growing up, learning to live a little, make mistakes and pick yourself up. This past summer I have went out more and encountered more people that I would’ve never known if I stayed home. Don’t get me wrong it is important to have your priorities in order but that doesn’t mean you can’t have fun, after work of course. To me Living in the moment doesn’t just mean go out and have fun, it also means to think and do stuff out of the box, make decisions you wouldn’t have before, say yes to the people you usually avoid. It is important to take it day by day, and to stop overthinking when it comes to your life and just live in the moment.

• I really related to this post. Sometimes I find my self stressing over my decisions because of how they will effect my post college life. However, I agree with you in the sense, that this is limiting my enjoyment in my day to day activities. Instead of stressing so much about the future, I need to make the most out of every moment, because eventually I’ll be older wishing I could go back and live it all again.

• I completely agree with this, especially the part where you talked about how mistakes and living a little are a part of growing. As you said, I also believe that as it is important to have priorities and plan for the future, but not as the cost of living in the moment!

• I also relate to struggling to just let go and go with the flow. I tend to overthink a lot about my future and the choices I’m making. While I do believe we should think about what kind of impact our decisions might have on us in the future, it shouldn’t prevent us from going with the flow and focusing on the now.

15. Roscoe E

This past summer I spent my time working at camp Kieve, in Nobleborough Maine. Kieve is a sleep away camp for ages 8-17, where the campers go on wilderness trips, (the older the camper the longer the trip). As 1 of 3 counselors in my cabin I was responsible for leading a cabin of boys, ages 10-12. Our trip was a 5 day camping trip to the White Mountains in NH. On our second day we set out to hike Mt. Washington, the tallest Mt. in the North East. It took us nearly 5 hours to summit the mountain, and over 4 hours to hike back down it. However, during the hike I lost all concept of time. For me hiking this mountain along side the campers was truly a phenomenal experience. While hiking you are engaging in conversation, focusing only on your next step, and digesting the beautiful nature around you. To me this is living in the moment. I was not worried about what I did yesterday, or what I will be doing tomorrow. Instead I was fully immersed in the world around me. Not only was I determined to finish the hike, but also all the campers were. We were all united under this common goal, creating an environment where we pushed each other to be our best, and maintain a solid pace along the hike.

Looking back on the hike, it almost feels like a total break from reality. I was immersed fully in the moment, making the most of every step / experience along the way. I wish to continue to find this feeling as I journey through college. Living in the moment is a wonderful feeling. The stress of future essays or past grades, evaporates, and all you are left with is the feelings created from the environment and people around you.

• I would recommend anyone to hike Mount Washington with a couple of friends. I did the same this summer with three of my friends. Connecting yourself with nature is a good place to start when refocusing this idea of living in the moment. It truly allows you to appreciate everything in sight including your own day to day life.

16. Living in the moment is the most important to me because l know no matter what everyones time is limited to there own clock and l need to focus on mine and live how l want to and try to live the best for my family as well.

Growing up as l did l seen a lot and experienced a lot of things even adults barley experienced l grew up real fast and didn’t get a good childhood. l don’t resent it or get mad about what happens l just moved on and grew from it learned better as well.

17. In a world filled with constant distractions and a sense of the future, the importance of living in the moment cannot be more important. The ability to fully engage in the present brings great benefits to our overall quality of life. Living in the moment allows you to forget the burdens of the past and worries about the future. By focusing on where we are now, we free ourselves from past regrets and bad memories. From future worries and doubts often associated with mindfulness, the practice of living in the moment promotes a sense of peace which is crucial to maintaining a positive outlook on life. Additionally, our presence enhances our personal experiences. When we take a minute to interact with our surroundings, we notice details that might otherwise elude us. The colors of a sunset, the feel of the summer breeze on our skin, or being able to watch the winter’s first snowfall. All these things become more meaningful when we give our undivided attention to the present. In conclusion, the importance of living in the moment is a reminder of the preciousness of time and the depth of our experiences. By acknowledging the present, we detach ourselves from the past and ease our anxieties about the future. This is why living in the moment is important because we don’t want to take any of our experiences for granted.

• Morgan R
      I totally agree with what you stated above, life is so short we need to focus on all the little things that make our lives so precious. All these little things in life we often forget about can really show us the importance to life and how valuable our time is.

• I think you pointed out a lot of good reasons as to why it is so important for us to try to live in the moment. Every person can most likely agree that there has been something that they have worried or thought about that has prevented them from living how they would like. You make a good point when you say that when we take time and interacting with the world around us, we might even notice some things that we wouldn’t normally see or feel. I think it’s crucial to live like this because it gives us the best memories that we’ll never forget. I also like how you said that living in the moment can provide us with a more stress free environment. I completely agree and believe we could all take some time to really enjoy our lives and not focus too hard on the things that can make us overthink.

18. Kennedy M

People who live in the moment often have less stress and anxiety because it is provoked by anticipating things happening in the future. Anxiety is typically worrying about what ifs before something occurs. Focusing on what is right in front of you can keep you from worrying about something. I began dealing with anxiety after I got into a car accident in March of last year and totaled my car. Although I disliked not being able to drive myself places, I got nervous when I was able to drive my own car again. I felt scared and would think about all the ways I could get into another accident and get hurt. This would also happen before I even left my house if I wasn’t familiar with the area or route for my destination. I needed something that would occupy my mind to stop myself from thinking about it. I found having another person in my car or listening to music would lower my anxiety. Doing those things helped my focus on what was in front of me rather than worrying. Living in the moment helps reduce anxiety, focus, and help savor experiences. Being mindful of this can better an experience overall. School is a big stressor for people our age and can affect how we do in school. Having good health is important to succeed in what you do and this is an easier way to deal with anxiety. Above all the reasons, living in the moment can clear your mind and make you happier as a person.

19. I believe that it is important to live in the moment and make the most out of every opportunity. For me, living in the moment means to fully engage and be present during all current experiences and opportunities. This includes not only the big, but also the small moments in life. Sometimes it can be difficult to focus on the present. It is easy to get caught up in the stress and thoughts of the past or future. Thinking about the present rather than the future or past can help us let go of regrets and anxiety. Living in the moment also allows us to be grateful for every moment we have. If you do not take time to enjoy the present, you will not be able to fully enjoy life.

An obstacle that can come in the way of some people living in the moment is social media. People become more concerned with checking notifications, posting, and even comparing themselves to others. These things can make it difficult to truly enjoy every moment. I don’t think social media is a negative thing, I think it is a great way to connect and share with family and friends. But I do think it is important to make sure we are able to find a balance when dealing with social media. We should be mindful of when and how much we are using social media to make sure we do not miss out on the experiences right in front of us.

• I agree with your opinion, social media has absolutely made it hard for people to live in the moment and cherish real life.

20. Kristen K

Living in the moment is described as taking time to be grateful for what we have now not later. I hated high school so much I wished that school would hurry up and I could graduate and get out. I didn’t go to homecoming, junior prom, or other social events because I was too worried about the future and graduating. When I took yoga, my teacher recommended meditation and ever since I’ve learned to control my breathing and focus on the present more. I started to become grateful and wanted to make most of my time by making up for missed opportunities. I got to plan a girl’s flag football game and went to prom, and I had loads of fun. These events allowed me to appreciate the time in high school but also be happy because my elementary school self would be so proud of me. When I was younger, I told myself I wanted to be a doctor, have a YouTube, and other expectations. Now, I feel confident in my own skin, I am still learning more about myself. After practicing mindfulness, I realized the things that I do truly like and what I want to become as a person. Living in the moment doesn’t mean I should neglect the future or procrastinate and put things off. It rather means to find a balance between the now and the future. I sometimes struggle to stop worrying about the future, but I try to practice staying in the moment and keep reminding myself “step by step.”

• I know just how awkward I was in years 1-3 of high school. I never had any friends and I didn’t know how to be sociable with people. It wasn’t until senior year that I started to open up to people and put myself out there. Life got so much better when I stopped overthinking the moment and just went with the flow. Living in the moment changed my mindset about life and meeting new people.

• I definitely agree that living in the moment is really important. I also wrote my blog post on living in the moment, and you worded everything well to describe how fulfilling it is to live in the moment. Especially going into a new school as a freshman, it’s important to not overthink everything and be able to enjoy your experience.

21. Taylor C

It is easier said than done when you are presented with the phrase, “Live in the Moment.” No one knows what that means until the good time has passed on. Everyone is always looking forward to something, or they are nervous about a situation that is coming up. Either way, there is no moment to be lived in if a person does not recognize what is around them, the colors, sounds, smells all matter in a moment. There are people who don’t take the time to make a moment a memory. A memory is from a time where you have truly lived in that moment. There are times in my life that have stayed as moments because I never took the time and appreciated what was happening. I say it is easier said than done because there are also bad times that people want blocked out of their life forever. These bad times though will lead to people overruling every good experience that they’ve had. Leading them to think that they can never feel fully happy. Some people have many good times to where every moment in their life they take for granted and don’t realize it until a difficult situation arises. Living in the moment is an experience that everyone has to learn. One of those moments could make for one of your favorite memories.

• Omer M,

Hey I enjoyed reading your essay, I liked the part when you touched on how when people said to live the moment its easier said than done becuase no one knows what it truly means until you actually experienced it yourself and the fact that everyone has to learn through the experience.

22. Angela E.

Before a memory is a memory they are moments. I believe that “living in the moment” is something that takes time to understand. You need to experience things in order to reflect on them, good or bad. In the past I was one to compare my life to others and easily get stressed over small things, especially change but I am learning that everyone is different, we all move at different paces and that’s ok. I am learning that if I don’t leave my comfort zone I will never grow. I wasn’t the biggest fan of high school after Covid so I got a job. While being there the coworkers became some of the closest friends I’ve made in years. Working with them didn’t feel like a chore or a place to go to make money. You lose friends as people change and you outgrow them. You leave one school for another. You try out different jobs as you get older. And during each of those you learn. After you have gone through all those experiences it does not mean you have to forget the memories.
    Life as you get older sometimes gets more stressful and you may feel like there is a lot more pressure on you but I believe it helps a lot to pause just for a second and take a breath. The past should not be a negative thing. Look back and how far you have come. Everything you have gone through makes you who you are today.

23. Jposeeph Stanton
    I believe that living in the moment does not just entail enjoying it. To live in the moment, you must respect the future. You must be able to think ahead and determine how the interaction will play into another hand later in life. While you enjoy the moment, never dismiss the voice in the back of your head that tells you what is a good or bad idea.
    Always be nice to everyone, no matter what. Make new friends, and be welcoming to the people you don’t quite know. Making enemies and being rude to people is an unproductive way to live life. It is crucial to be conscious of how the moment will affect the future but it can be difficult if you are too sucked up in the moment.
    I believe that when done properly, living in the moment will never lead you astray. There is something about letting go of all of the other concerns of the past and being able to enjoy a moment without the stresses of life. This is good in moderation as too much living in the moment can lead to decisions you end up regretting and wish you had spent more time thinking about.

• An interesting perspective. It’s true that you shouldn’t try to make any enemies and it is good to make new friends. I also agree that Living in the moment should be taken in moderation.

24. Anthony.S

My Perspective of “living in the moment” wasn’t an easy skill for me to adapt too. Although sadly, everyone will figure this skill out eventually at some point in there life. My experience with living in the moment took way to many memories that I took for granted and never cherished them in the moment. Once those memories start to reoccur into your head is when you start to realize how much your life has changed ever since those memories depending on the memory meaning in both a positive and negative way. Regardless the situation, in my opinion the memories that people want to block from there mind are just as good as the positive memories. Why, is being able to deal and Greif with whatever down moment in your life will build your character and it will allow you to not suffer as much as you did with the future to come. something to keep in mind is to realize every day we live, we are constantly making memories with people and things, It doesn’t always have to be the funny times with friends, or the sad moments alone. The long boring days of doing nothing and the short feeling but most energized and fun days with friends. Every memory and moment is done on purpose and given as a lesson for one to learn from. In conclusions my perspective of “Living in the moment” is important to humanity. I learned to try and cherish every emotion I felt on this journey called life.

25. Theresa Sartiah
    As life has taught me about my highs and lows, it has taught me more about myself then any other form of discovery. The challenge of leaving my childhood friends in order to grow was the hardest part of growing up. I began to dwell on the past and all of the memories and started to see it as something bad and began to envy the fact that I can’t feel that joyful feeling anymore. Then I started to dwell on the future. And whether or not we would have the same relationship years down the road now that everyone has seperated.

I then started to take a step back and realize that instead of dwelling on both the past and the future. Live in the present and appreciate what I have infront of me. The appreciation for the little things is what can carry you a long way.

© 2024 UMassD Believes

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑

Skip to toolbar