UMassD Believes

Summer Writing Project

Orientation Leaders

Orientation Leaders…

You’re college veterans! You’ve learned the ropes, you’ve faced challenges, overcome them, realized you’ll face more, and have learned to reflect on and make meaning from those experiences. Tell us… what do you believe?!

Post submissions here to inspire the class of 2027 to share and learn from their own belief statements.

Select “Comments” to leave your post.

29 Comments

1. I believe that college should not be scary. I came into college scared, lonely and all around just anxious, which took a severe toll on my mental health. As somebody who was already very anxious, going to college just exacerbated the anxiety even more and made it nearly impossible to socialize with anybody. As time went on and my attitude changed about college in general, UmassD became a second home to me. From living in Willow Hall with people who I can confidently say I love, to living in Balsam now with my fellow OLs, being on campus is always extremely fun and comforting. I have people here who I consider family, there’s always things to do here, and there are even professors at this university that I absolutely adore. UmassD has allowed me to come out of my shell and create relationships that I never thought I would have been able to create. It has challenged me not only academically but also socially. I’ve learned that the people you meet and the connects you make are just as important- if not more important- than the academic aspect of attending university. The people you meet could potentially land you a job after your college career, and that is why socializing is so important! If there was one thing I could go back and tell myself from my first year, it would definitely be “Stop being so shy, and get out there!”, because while being alone is terrible, not allowing yourself to grow out of the loneliness is even worse.

2. I believe in you choosing who your family is. Family isn’t always defined by blood. It can be defined on who supports, encourages, and loves you.

I never had a healthy relationship with my father and brother. My father, for most of his time, emotionally was not there to listen nor support the family. He would be too busy working on his job or hanging out with his friends. When I would have a performance, usually only my mother would show up. He would be busy at work and didn’t want to use up his personal time (paid time off).

I never had a close relationship with my brother. When I try to speak with him, the conversation always ends in an argument. Our viewpoints and morals are opposite of each other. So it is difficult for me to talk about something without arguing with each other. When I thought of doing something, I sometimes would ask my brother. He would ignore me and continue his own things. He never encouraged me, but rather discouraged my thoughts.

I am proud to say that I love my mom. My mom is the one who listens to my complaints, encourages me to go out and live my life, supports what I do, and loves me for who I am.

Coming to campus, I was able to choose who I called family. Though I haven’t known my friends for their entire lives, I feel a sense of family and connection with them. We support, encourage, and love each other. We support each other’s feelings and their interests. Encourage each other to do what we love to do, and love each other not only as friends, but also as a family.

My mother and my friends are a family to me.

3. What I have learned and come to believe is that life has a way of working itself out and that if you just trust the process and keep trying no matter what, life will workout for the better. For me, I found out it was smarter to just be better than who I was the day before. It’s a long road that we are all on, it’s not a sprint but a marathon. If you trip up like I have numerous times, including a few years ago where I got very hurt and thought my college career was over, it doesn’t mean its the end, just another chance to pick yourself back up and begin again. It’s a hard thing to learn and understand as you feel these years dictate your whole life but after what I’ve been through, I can speak from experience that this is just a part of growth. I constantly remind myself that we’re all just human beings and that we are all imperfect in nature. This helped me realize that I don’t have to be perfect, I just had to keep trying. A big thing I also came to understand is to not let your mind get in the way of being better as the more you dwell on things, and let your mind take control, the harder it is to move forward. I had to accept who I was to grow. This has taken me years to learn and so many experiences of failure, so don’t expect to figure your life out and who you are overnight. I am finally coming to an understanding of who I am, and the capabilities that I have. This is all part of the process, so don’t be afraid of failure, change, rejection and imperfection, as it’s all just part of the path that we have all taken before you.

4. Hi, I’m Isaiah! I believe in getting involved in the UMassD community. In the fall of my freshman year, I made the choice to not get involved with any of the extracurricular opportunities offered on campus. I focused primarily on my coursework and grades. This may have kept my GPA high, but it didn’t advance my career opportunities. I didn’t meet any influential people in my field of choice. I also didn’t make many new friends on campus. In the spring, I got more involved. I joined the e-board for the Engineering Ambassadors program at UMassD. I also decided to become an orientation leader so that I could share my stories with all of you. By getting more involved, I’ve been able to meet people who can help me in my future endeavors. I’ve also made plenty of friends that make my time on campus more memorable and enjoyable. So, I want you all to know that getting involved in campus life is one of the greatest things you can do when starting off at UMassD. Another thing I believe in is promoting your own academic success. There are so many places on campus where you can go for help. If you’re an engineering major like I am, you can go to the ES^3 office in the DION building for assistance regarding your major. You can also go to the STEM learning lab in the SENG building for help in your courses. The learning lab is essentially a place you can go to for tutoring in any science and math course. The transition from high school to college can be difficult. I just want to make sure that you know you’re not alone. There is always somebody to help you if you get stuck. There’s no reason to be scared to reach out. You’re all going to do great in your first year at UMassD!

5. I believe that the challenges and the roadblocks that I had to face in college, made me become the person I am today. Had I not advocated for myself, something that is very important in a person’s college career, I would not be in the position I am today. I also believe that the community that you can be surrounded by when going to college is unimaginable. The abundance of support that is held here on the UMassD campus is amazing, if you’re willing to be open to that. The challenges that I have had to face on this campus, helped build my character and resilience, and really made me question the person I am and the person I want to become. The college atmosphere is exactly how it sounds, in a sense of, this is a place where you can grow and find yourself, but it does all start with you! This is where the self-advocacy & self discipline come into play, the university is going to offer so much academically and socially. It can get easy to get lost within it all socially, and maintaining a good social life and a great academic life can be hard, BUT always recognize where you might need help and take strength in asking for it, or spending a little more time on the things that require more effort. This mentality could save a person so much extra stress and agony where college is already hard enough. Find strength within the people who love and surround you, and always remember your why and your story, this is what makes you unique in your own way, and embrace it, because your uniqueness will be your greatest asset in your college career.

6. This past year, I have learned a lot about my learning style and about equity in education. I had a professor who was giving extra credit opportunities to three of his class sections but not the fourth (honors section). Upon this discovery I reached out to him to inquire why this was the case. We then discussed back and forth for a few days and he invited me to have a meeting with him to discuss in person. We discussed a lot about equity in education and if an A in the honors class after extra credit would still be as strong as an A in the honors class without extra credit. I believed that it would be still as impressive because the extra credit given was a set of questions that would still prove that we know the course material. After our discussion he decided to bring it up to the whole class to take a vote on if we should also receive the extra credit and the class unanimously voted yes.
    This has taught me to stand up for the things that you believe in even if you are the only one. I was very nervous to question my professor but I did so in a very respectful way and found success. The key to standing up for what you believe in is doing so in a respectful way and listening to the other person’s point of view because it might just change the way you originally thought about something.

7. Hello. My name is Jess. I believe that college is the perfect place to find yourself. Through obstacles of time managing, social waves, and unexpected hardships, college is the place where people find their most authentic selves.

Whether it is joining clubs or talking to someone new, relationships are made. These friendships hold value in who you are connected to. As the common phrase says, “You are who you surround yourself with.” These people will help you grow into the person you enjoy being around them. Others thrive in college on their own. They focus on new practices of self-care, time management and organization. These factors pan out to create a new understanding of one’s self, and therefore growth.

I have grown in myself after just one year here. Going into my sophomore year, I have gained a new understanding in my own interests. Through one of my clubs, for example, I went hiking in Maine. Never would I have expected that I would want to try something completely different than my typical lifestyle, but I loved it.

As new students, I encourage you to overcome your fears. Join clubs you find interesting. Start new hobbies that you were too nervous to try. Taste foods you have never heard of before. Most importantly, find yourself, because similarly to who we spend time with, you are what you find passions in.

8. Throughout my life and my experiences I have learned plenty of things, and many events in my life have shaped what I believe in. Of course, I believe in plenty of things, but I will just be sharing some of the more important beliefs that have shaped me the most in my life. For one, I believe that life can be short, and for some even shorter. You can never truly know how long you’d have with someone that you care about. So I believe that it is important to enjoy and savor your time with them, and most of all I believe that you should savor the time that you’d get to be with those special people in your life. They can be a family member, a friends, a love interest, or even just a complete stranger that you find yourself having a particularly enjoyable time with. Anyone at all. Another defining belief of mine is that a lot of things should be greeted with a smile. And I’m not just talking about being positive and optimistic towards life. I talking about physically greeting more people that you see in your life with a big old grin, or at least the biggest smile that you can manage to muster at that time. You see, you can never really know what other people around you are going through. You might be on your way to class one day, and you randomly lock eyes with someone who’s at the end of their rope and contemplating suicide. Apologizes to any reader who got a little disturbed just now after reading that, but I hope that you’ll forgive me for not sugarcoating it. To go back on topic, there are no doubt a lot of people going through, or have gone through, hardship that you’ve walked by without even realizing it. There are many people around you, especially in college, that have vastly different lives than yours. And to those who’s lives are getting a bit tougher right now, I’d want to give them a bit of kindness. Of course, it’s not like a single smile can solve every issue that they’re dealing with, but I believe that you can’t truly know when even just a tiny bit of happiness can’t make that key difference.

9. mgangakhedkar

June 13, 2023 at 2:05 am

Over the course of my time spent in the US, I have learnt that its always good to ask question. Or more so that it never hurts to ask.
    I haven’t been in the university for long.. just started this spring but i would not have been a part of this community had I not got involved in various orgs and activities. Talking to the staff on campus and my professors who guided me to give my best in all aspects of my college life. I hosed the Unity fest in my first year and being an OL right now I am glad that I did not give up or get scared and dropped any ideas of the things what I wanted to try.
    As students, we stand at the crossroads of possibility and potential. We are constantly faced with choices that shape our educational journey and pave the way for our future. It is in these moments of decision-making that courage becomes paramount. It is the force that emboldens us to step outside our comfort zones, to challenge ourselves, and to explore uncharted territories.
    Taking the first step requires us to confront our doubts and insecurities. It means venturing into the unknown, risking failure and rejection. However, it is precisely through this act of courage that we cultivate resilience, tenacity, and personal growth. By pushing beyond our limits, we discover our true capabilities and develop a stronger sense of self.
    Moreover, courage allows us to embrace the opportunities that lie beyond our fears. It opens doors to new experiences, expands our horizons, and enables us to tap into our untapped potential. Whether it is speaking up in class, pursuing a challenging academic path, or participating in extracurricular activities, each act of courage propels us further on the path of self-discovery and achievement.By embracing courage, we unlock our potential, make meaningful contributions, and create a brighter future for ourselves and for the world.

10. This is Chitra, and I firmly believe in self-belief and making one’s own decisions. Through my unwavering determination, hard work, and sincere dedication, I am currently pursuing my Master’s degree at UMassD. As an international student, it hasn’t been easy to strike a balance between life and education, but the faculty and staff at UMassD have been incredibly supportive, encouraging, and motivating. Additionally, I have formed incredible friendships that feel like family. Based on my past experiences, I truly believe that college life is something we will treasure the most. From the nervousness of the first day to the bittersweet emotions of the last day and the proud moment of graduation, we, as students, create invaluable memories the class rooms to the campus center, from library to the athletic center. Personally, I am relishing every aspect of my student life. It has allowed me to grow and become a stronger version of myself. I am confident that other students have also undergone this transformative journey. Although the transition may not occur immediately, by the end of our college experience, we will emerge as improved versions of ourselves.

In conclusion, I would like to emphasize the importance of self-belief, hard work, and dedication in shaping our college experiences. Despite the challenges we may face as international students or in maintaining a balance between various aspects of life, having a supportive academic community like UMassD can make a significant difference. The friendships we form during this time become invaluable, resembling a second family that provides constant support and encouragement. College life is a journey filled with memorable moments, from the initial apprehension to the final moments of pride and accomplishment. Each step, from classrooms to campus centers, libraries to athletic facilities, contributes to our personal growth and development. Embracing the student life fully allows us to discover our true potential and become better versions of ourselves. As we navigate through this transformative period, let us cherish every experience, treasure the friendships we make, and appreciate the lasting impact that our college years will have on our lives.

11. I believe in people. I am the type of person to always believe the good in people despite my better judgement but along with that, I find it hard to trust people. I never expected to be here since I never thought I could afford community college, never mind going to an actual university. Before stepping onto campus, I had doubts about making friends and being involved considering I am a commuter. When orientation came around, I was excited to put myself out there and start fresh. On the first day of orientation, I became best friends with my OL. They changed my life for the better and taught me the ins and outs of campus. They had an incredibly positive influence on me and encouraged me to be involved on campus, especially getting to know people in a lot of different student orgs. I put my trust into my OL and they showed me how to gain connections and network. They are constantly reminding me of my potential and encourage me to pave my own path with the stones they gave me. I’ve met many people on this campus who have done amazing things and have advocated for others. I believe that the students here on campus have the power to influence the incoming first years in a positive manner while also showing them how to advocate for themselves when needed. Once you build connections here on campus you will gain a community of people who will love and support you. My first connection was my OL during orientation, now, I’m striving and thriving on campus 🙂

12. I believe surrounding yourself with the right group of people and taking advantage of the free resources on campus are the key to success here at Dartmouth especially being a nursing major. My spring semester, i was off to a really bad start. I failed my first two Anatomy and Physiology exams. No matter how hard i thought i was studying it clearly wasn’t enough nor was working. I remember seeing the 63% on my first exam to only see a 57% on the second exam. I thought Nursing was over for me and I would have to take summer classes until I had the self discipline to take myself to the tutoring center everyday up until my third exam. I had the tutor explain the powerpoint slides to me in easier words for my understanding. I got my 3rd exam back to see a 90%. I was so proud of myself, that was the highest grade I got so far in fall and spring semester combined for this class. It was now finals week and I studied with my friend for the final exam which I was really iffy about. I was iffy because I tried studying with friends before but they didn’t really have anything to offer me, we were both just as lost and because of that my grades were trash barely making the minimum. But this friend had so much to offer me, she was bringing information to the table and was motivating and all of the above. In conclusion to her being a great study buddy we BOTH got 100’s on our final exams. I really couldn’t even believe my eyes at first. So in other words dont be afraid to go ask for help and make sure you’re self aware of when you’re in need and also surround yourself with people that actually bring things to the table and dont be the only one bringing things to the table it should be a mutual thing.

13. I believe in love and how love is a fuel for everything. I have those that I love and I have those that love and support me. Love does not have to look the same for everyone. Kindness and support can also be a form of love. Having such a supportive community here at UMD and facility and staff who do show students love, whether that would be in the form of teaching or encouragement to keep going or the kindness to smile at us. These things can make us want to show up everyday for our classes. Knowing your professor or staff are behind you and love teaching you because they love what they do. It really makes me feel like I’m doing the right thing and I want to keep pushing myself to do better. Having the support of not just your professors but the support of your RA’s and other staff. I have met some of the best staff on campus who are rooting for the best for you. I have met them at Birch Grill, the Grove, and even some of the people who work in maintenance in the buildings. These people love you and are there for you. They love what they do and they also love to see us doing something that we love. Having this support and love behind your back or even right in front of you is something that is inspiring and motivating. I know that this is what the UMD community is and what I believe in.

14. I believe that every experience during college, good or bad, has the potential to teach you valuable lessons. I believe that you should always strive to be the best version of yourself, but also be kind and forgiving to yourself when you fall short (you will always bounce back!) I believe that you should never stop learning and growing, and that there is always more to discover about yourself especially while in college. I believe that you should always be open to new experiences and perspectives, and that you should never stop exploring what UmassD has to offer (which is ALOT!) These are a couple of statements that I believe in after being here at UmassD for almost 5 years. Being here I’ve learned so many life lessons, made connections, and developed a love for this campus that I couldn’t imagine nowhere else. College is not easy and your #1 supporter is going to be YOU yourself before anybody else. Friends, family, advisors etc. can be in your ear cheering you on, but you have to be motivated to get where YOU want to be, what YOU want to do, and who YOU want to be in college (wheter that be academically or socially).

15. I believe that one summer of orientation can really change everything. In the first year that I was an orientation leader in 2021, we were just coming out of COVID. I originally applied for the position, but I was chosen as a fill-in and was offered a summer job to work at the Student Affairs office to prepare orientation materials. Eventually, I did end up filling-in. Becoming an orientation leader gave me the opportunity to touch-up my conversational and leadership skills, and helped to set me up for my college experience after losing a year of it to COVID. Working at the office also made me realize that I wanted to go into a career in graphic design, as I was very lost in what I wanted to do at the time. I’ve met many people during orientation, made many friends, and ended up meeting somebody that I hold dear to me today.

Presently, I dream to work in graphic design as a UI Designer, and I’ve recently chosen to extend my college time by 1 year to pursue a minor in Graphic Design. Without the experience of becoming an orientation leader, I wouldn’t be where I am right now. I wouldn’t be as confident in my abilities as I am today, and I wouldn’t have met so many people that I adore and look up to in my life right now. Which is why I believe in this year’s theme, “one summer can change everything”, because I personally believe that it can.

16. Here at UmassD I have learned so many things both in and out of the classroom. While my main focus like most people was to come to college and get my degree I never anticipated what a integral role organizations and clubs would really play in my time here at UmassD. Throughout all my years of schooling I’ve always been academically tunnel visioned. Nothing would get in my way from getting an A. I would get really bad anxiety it would almost feel crippling if I ever got anything below a 90%. That was until I came to UmassD and met people who endlessly reminded me that getting a good grade is still good and that some pressure is ok but too much like the kind i was applying to myself is damaging and dangerous. So I needed my mind somewhere else here I joined my first major organization that at the time I never knew how impactful it would be on me. In this organization I received some of the most important life lessons I will forever carry with me for the rest of my life. Here at U mass D you can get so much more than the traditional degree and education you can make life long friendships and learn life long lessons by doing something as simple as involving yourself with clubs. These organizations is where you can find your home, your support group, your family. It does take a fair amount of faith and trust and not everyone is ready to be loved but when you get there your life will really change here. So my advice is do something scary, do something that takes you out of your comfort zone, do something that gives you a healthy amount of anxiety, because those are the most IMPACTFUL moments you will ever experience especially when the outcome doesn’t go the way you always expect it. All it takes is a leap of faith and trust in yourself.

17. I believe that early failure creates a better pathway for success. Sometimes we are raised to not fail. That failure is end all be all but failure is apart of growth. How must we know what to do without know what not to do and understand why without failure. The answer is we can’t. I’ve learned that I’ve succeeded in areas abundantly when I failed the first time because I was aware of what worked for me. Failing a test or a class I was able to come back not because I knew the material but because I redirected my methods to attain to how I may learn. Sometimes it’s harder work your way up to something not knowing how you may do it than failing but trying again. I’ve failed countless of times in my years of living from failing my first test, to my first class, to my first competition, you name it but each time I came back stronger.

18. I believe strongly in family and family ties. That don’t matter what, family is important and the most important. I always believed this but there was a specific memory that strengthened my belief. Traveling with family is a special experience that brings us closer and creates lasting memories. Whether it’s a short trip or a longer vacation, it gives us a chance to discover new places and spend quality time together.
    I have a cherished memory of a family trip to the mountains in New Hampshire. We went on a road trip, leaving behind the busy city of Boston and enjoying the peacefulness of nature. As we drove through beautiful scenery, we felt excited about the adventure ahead.
    During our travels, we did activities together that made us closer. We hiked challenging trails, supporting and laughing with each other along the way. When we reached the mountaintop, the incredible views left us amazed.
    Exploring different places and different towns Exploring different types of cultures including their food and music. Meeting locals exposed us to different cultures. We tried local food, heard interesting stories, and learned about their customs. This made us appreciate the world’s diversity.
    But most importantly, the time we spent together as a family created memories that will last a lifetime. Whether it was playing games during the journey or sharing stories around a campfire, we built stronger connections. Being away from daily distractions allowed us to have meaningful conversations and enjoy each other’s company in a way that’s often hard in our busy lives.
    To sum up, traveling with family is an opportunity to explore, learn, and bond. It lets us escape our routines, discover new things, and make lasting memories. These shared adventures not only strengthen family ties but also help us grow as individuals and feel a sense of belonging

19. Gender is beyond the binary and the prescribed rules of society. It is important to factor that everyone gets to choose their own gender and how they want to function as an individual and not forced on to make their life as a performance based on the prescription of rules.
    I have had leadership role at Umass Dartmouth as a student worker at Center for Women, Gender, and sexuality and e-board member for Pride Alliance I support LGBTQ+ students and advocate for sexual violence prevention education on campus. With two majors and two minors I got the opportunity to be a peer mentor at CAS Star center where I get the chance to work with first year students where we help in student transition and retention for college of Arts and Sciences. Being a trans person and advocating for LGBTQ+ students I get the opportunity to support faculty and staff in providing educational materials which helps in creating an LGBTQ+ safe space on campus.
    What made to start volunteering at Center for Women, Gender and Sexuality and being in Pride Alliance was finding purpose. As a trans person and sexual assault survivor I got the opportunity to find meaning with the work which I do at CWGS and Pride Alliance. Finding meaning is a concept by David Kessler based on Grief and Greving. Finding meaning is where one finds meaning in memory or makes amends to the events which have happened in our lives. Umass Dartmouth has helped me come out and the community has advocated for, so I found meaning to do the same in the community and take leadership position in Umass Dartmouth and help the community in sexual violence prevention advocacy and advocating for LGBTQ community on campus.

20. I believe college is growth. In my journey through college, I have matured and grown in ways I never imagined. The challenges I faced, both academically and personally, have shaped me into a more resilient and adaptable individual. As a college veteran, I have learned to navigate the intricate web of academia, from managing my time effectively to conquering difficult coursework.
    However, it is not just academic growth that has transformed me. College has opened my eyes to the immense diversity that exists within our society. Through interactions with classmates from various backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives, I have gained a deeper understanding and appreciation for the richness of human experiences. I have learned to listen actively, engaging in meaningful conversations that challenge my preconceived notions and broaden my horizons.
    Also, college has provided me with numerous opportunities to connect with individuals who share my passions and interests. These connections have not only enriched my college experience but have also laid the foundation for future collaborations and personal growth.
    Perhaps most importantly, college has taught me the value of reflection and introspection. Through self-evaluation and introspective practices, I have gained a deeper understanding of my strengths, weaknesses, and aspirations. I have learned to critically examine my experiences, extracting valuable lessons and making meaning from them.
    In conclusion, my time in college has been transformative. I have matured, becoming a more resilient and adaptable individual. I have embraced diversity and connected with a multitude of individuals, broadening my perspective on the world. Through reflection and introspection, I have developed a deeper understanding of myself and my place in the world. As a 3rd year college student, I am grateful for the opportunities, challenges, and growth that have shaped me into the person I am today.

21. I also believe in encouraging others to do their best in order to realise their fullest potential. The whole point it to uplift them in ways that are mindful and respectful of their own personal beliefs and standards. With myself, I quickly noticed that it is really easy to get lost in the sauce of the buzz at UMASS D . It is hard to find your own way but eventually you find it through the means of questioning, exploration, engagement and finding community. Since I came to Dartmouth I have grown a lot by being put into different leadership positions and I flourish within that. I got comfortable with being uncomfortable and eventually I kind of grew into it. So , if I encourage anybody to do anything, I would encourage them to do the same so that they can grow too. It does not have to be through the means of leadership, but just taking initiative on something that they can claim to be theirs.

22. Traveling with your family is a special experience that brings you closer and creates lifelong memories. Whether it’s a quick getaway or an extended vacation, it offers a chance to explore new places and enjoy quality time together.

I have a treasured memory of a family trip to the mountains. We embarked on a road journey, leaving the hustle and bustle of the city behind and immersing ourselves in the serenity of nature. As we drove through stunning landscapes, the excitement and anticipation grew with each passing mile.

During our travels, we engaged in activities that strengthened our bond. We conquered challenging hiking trails, supporting and laughing with one another along the way. Reaching the mountaintop and witnessing breathtaking views left us in awe.

Exploring charming villages and interacting with locals exposed us to different cultures. We savored local cuisine, listened to captivating stories, and learned about unique customs and traditions. These encounters broadened our horizons and deepened our appreciation for the world’s diversity.

Above all, the quality time spent with my family during our travels created everlasting memories. Whether it was playing games during long car rides or gathering around a campfire to share stories, we forged deeper connections and cherished each other’s company without the distractions of everyday life.

In conclusion, traveling with your family offers a special opportunity to explore, bond, and create lasting memories. It allows you to break free from your routines, embrace new experiences, and strengthen the ties that bind. These shared adventures not only bring you closer as a family but also foster personal growth and a sense of belonging

23. One of my main beliefs is that life is short
    and we should make the most of every moment. Our time here is limited and can be taken away at any point. That’s why it’s so important to just live your life the way you want to and do what makes you happy no matter what.

For me, living life to the fullest means trying new things, taking risks, and embracing new experiences. It’s about stepping out of my comfort zone and pushing myself to try things that I wouldn’t normally do. One of my biggest times pushing myself to do something new is becoming an orientation leader. I never thought I would be comfortable to be in this position but I’m glad I joined and I have a great time doing it. I believe that every experience is an opportunity to grow and learn.

Of course, living life to the fullest doesn’t mean you have to be constantly on go. Sometimes it’s important to slow down and appreciate the simple things in life. Spending time with loved ones, eating your favorite food, or just staying inside to practice some self care can be just as fulfilling as going out and partying.

Ultimately, I believe that living life to the fullest is about having balance. It’s about making time for the things that matter most to you, while also taking time to explore new opportunities and experiences. This is how you can create a life that is full of happiness and purpose.

24. In many ways, I see college as a place where one can start fresh. A place to go if you want to begin something new and improve yourself. College makes available a wide variety of fantastic things and possibilities, such as participation in organizations, opportunities to serve the local community, and athletic teams. It is important to participate in extracurricular activities and attend college. When you live on campus, it is much simpler to become engaged in extracurricular activities and try out new things. You’ll make a lot more new friends, create new connections, and it might simply be a time for you to de-stress if you become engaged. This is a few of the many benefits of being active. If you do decide to participate, simply keep in mind that your academic obligations come first at all times. It is imperative that you never let your extracurricular pursuits interfere with your academic work. Time management is a very important factor in this. College places significant demands on your ability to manage your time effectively. If your grades are unacceptable, you won’t be able to participate in any extracurricular activities or have any fun at school, which is something that everyone wants to do. You will feel a lot better about yourself if you are not worrying about failing any of your classes or having to make up a lot of work while you are engaging in activities that bring you enjoyment, such as participating in additional circulars or at a party. College is what you make it and if your not involved in any type of way then your experience might not be all that great. 

25. Being in college for 3 years, being resilient and trusting in the process while facing adversity and difficulties. Specifically for my spring semester of freshman year, I had life and academic setbacks that allowed me to self-reflect and re-evaluate what I stand for. In that process, we learn to appreciate the challenges and to continue grinding amongst it, to then appreciate how we overcame those things. It is all apart of the journey and builds character.

Since my first semester in college, I also seen the importance of community. It is important in this process of building and finding a community, that we commit to vulnerability and finding people who are just like us. Not only does it make us comfortable, but it also allows for those who relate to continue to push together. In a college environment it is easy to get lost and be fearful of the next big step, but finding people who are just like you and who can help to continue, will add value to your journey and push you to graduate.

Also, during college, committing and engaging in your self-reflection process. Being able to sit down and to be vulnerable with yourself adds to character development and greater understanding in being in the real world. Being comfortable with the uncomfortable is the biggest thing when you are in college, and if you’re not invested in your own due process.

26. There are a great number of things in which I have faith. Awareness of mental health issues is one of my most important beliefs. As a result of my personal experiences with mental illness, I am familiar with what it is like to be excluded from activities and to face feelings of isolation and loneliness when it comes to locating a community. My experience has led me to believe that one of my roles in this life is to assist others in resolving their struggles with suicide ideation as well as other mental health difficulties. Keeping a cheerful attitude and spreading love throughout the community are two of the most important aspects in my life. I just have one wish: that everyone will be able to love and accept one another, open up to one another, and be valued to one another. Because I am an OL, I believe that I have the ability to inspire first-year students to maintain a positive attitude during their entire time in college because of my position. And one last piece of guidance for first-year students: never be hesitant to take a step outside of your comfort zone. Because this life was not meant for us to live it alone, it is essential to have someone to keep you accountable for your mental health concerns, especially when it comes to mental health issues. This is because this life was not meant for us to live it alone. You don’t always have to go to every event that’s happening on campus; as long as you have a community that will love and support you and a community that will help you to your successes, you will have a great experience during your first year of college, even if you don’t go to every event that’s happening on campus.

27. msanchezalvarez

June 13, 2023 at 1:33 pm

I believe college is a beautiful setting for meaningful interactions with diverse people. You are free to be who you are unapologetically. No matter how challenging or simple the experiences are, I believe that college allows you to live them. You can grow and learn from those encounters. I believe that UmassD’s tight-knit community provides us with a safety net that enables us to fail and come back stronger from learning our mistakes. In my entire undergraduate experience, I have participated on a varsity team. I feel like a family member now thanks to this wonderbeautifulience. Being a part of the team that looks out for me gives me the impression that I’m a part of a much larger entity that deserves love and care. I can overcome challenges, develop my communication abilities, and demonstrate leadership both on and off the field. I have the confidence to trust in myself and carry myself with my head held high in every classroom because my professors, coaches, trainers, faculty, and staff believe in me and my potentpotentially believe that UmassD shows its students so much love and care that it enables me to attend class and offer my best effort.

28. vedwinjohnson

June 13, 2023 at 1:51 pm

I believe that every experience, good or bad, has a lesson to teach us. Coming to college was a rollercoaster ride for me, being a student who didn’t grow up in the US. I was afraid because I felt like I didn’t fit in, I was depressed and wasn’t socially involved on campus, I didn’t have friends and most of all I didn’t ask for help because of what people would think of me, which led to getting bad grades.
    Overtime in my second semester, I started joining orgs and clubs to meet people. I began to ask for help when I really needed it, which was great. I started making friends on campus and I started creating relationships with students and staff , which I thought I would never have.
    So in other words based on my first year experience, It taught me that nothing is really certain if you haven’t tried. You can’t go through life based on assumptions. For all other situations I think in general if you put your heart towards overcoming the bad, it proves that there is no situation that an individual can’t overcome. Some experiences bring out the best in people, it shows people their potential, when you overcome it.

29. Aisha

I believe that every action in life should be done with love because it is a beautiful way to approach the world and the people around you. Love is the most powerful thing in the world to me and when we act with love, we make ourselves and the people around us happier. When I show love to others I know it comes from a place of kindness, compassion, and understanding. I always see the good in others and treat them with love and kindness even when they may not deserve it. I always treat everyone with the same care and respect that I would want. Acting with love is always easy for me but sometimes it can hurt when people don’t give me the same love back. Sometimes I want to react with anger but I know that when I act with love instead it keeps myself at peace. Choosing to be the bigger person spreads a lot more positivity around me. I believe that our actions of love can inspire others to act with love as well. As an orientation leader, I will always act with love to not just my students and families but also other OL’s. I believe this is a good trait to have in this position because many students may not feel loved at home or with their friends so I want them to see Umass Dartmouth as a safe space. I want them to know I am here for them! Some students may be angry from walking around all day or may be having a bad day but I know I will always still treat them with love and kindness. Everyone deserves to be cared for no matter what!

© 2024 UMassD Believes

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑

Skip to toolbar